Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Beta-10 two Pi
Beta-10 two Pi [message #34223] Mon, 19 November 2001 10:11 Go to next message
MaTJ is currently offline  MaTJ
Esquire
Hi,

A friend of mine want's to build some: good sounding, small, efficient, cheap speakers that can also do bass. Well doesn't everybody want that, but I thought a pair of two Pi's using beta-10 drivers would come a long way.
But I have still two question about this setup:

I picked the beta-10 for him because it can be run in a small enclosure (same as alpha-8) while still ofering decent bass. There is one problem however. Due to the lower qts. efficiency goes up above 1kHZ and peaks at 3kHZ. That isn't my idea of a nice sounding speaker.
So we could put an inductor in series to roll of the highs
but this would also give a 6dB steeper rollof at XO and problems matching the tweeter.
An alternative would be to use a notch filter at +/- 2.5kHz, Or just accept a larger enclosure and use a alpha-10 for better sound. What would be the best solution?

Thanks in advance,

Marijn

Re: Beta-10 two Pi [message #34227 is a reply to message #34223] Mon, 19 November 2001 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Personally, I prefer the Alpha 10. You can use filters to revoice the Beta, but I think the Alpha sounds good without massaging. It offers deeper bass and smoother midrange.
Re: Beta-10 two Pi [message #34229 is a reply to message #34227] Tue, 20 November 2001 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MaTJ is currently offline  MaTJ
Esquire
I believe most low qts. full range drivers actually do need some form of equalisation to sound balanced be it: acoustical (horns or a upper midrange absorber over the main cone), a fill in driver for bass and lower midrange, a notch filter or a digital eq.
I don't want to listen to a lowther in a ported enclosure and the fostex 208sigma is almost always used with a notch filter. Baffle step correction is very often used by DIY'ers at the single driver forum, ofcourse a >2ft wide baffle is prefered :-) But we'll try running it without compensation first and see how we like the sound.

I'll ask my friend to post some pictures and a review when he has finished the speakers.

Thanks again,

Marijn

Re: Beta-10 two Pi [message #34230 is a reply to message #34229] Tue, 20 November 2001 04:16 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good luck with your project. Please keep us posted and let us know how it sounds!
Previous Topic: As promised..
Next Topic: Wayne, could you please send me Theater 4 plans! <nt>
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 17:16:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout