Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Newbie interested in Pi Speakers
Newbie interested in Pi Speakers [message #34050] Sat, 13 October 2001 18:08 Go to next message
StylinLP is currently offline  StylinLP
Esquire
Greetings and well met everyone. This my first time visiting this board. I usually read the Turntable forum and was directed to check out the PI Speaker website.
My set up is LP12, Basic Plus arm, Grado referance cart.
Music Fidelity XLS phono pre
going to build Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and Paramour 3.5 watt tube amp. Currently using 89db Mirage 490i tower speakers.
If i am to build my own speakers its a toss up between Straight 8, Wilmslow Audio kits or Hammer Dynamics or Pi.
Could i get some input of likes and dislikes..pros and cons...cost vs performance of these various kits? )
Much appreciated for any input..thanks all

Re: Newbie interested in Pi Speakers [message #34051 is a reply to message #34050] Sat, 13 October 2001 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
welcome to the forum, i just finished my premium stage 4 pi's and am thrilled. i have more sound than i ever expected. since your going to use a very low powered tube amp you must build speakers with at least 100db sensitivity. i had a decware se84c with pi 7 corner horns(104db at 1w 1m ) and they played moderately loud. i'm now using an 18 watt per channel single-ended tube amp with my 4 pi's(99db at 1w 1m) and they crank, yet i still have my solid state amp for real parties. these speakers are great and will cost you about 25% of what you would pay at retail for similar speakers,if you build them yourself. they sound so good you'll want to turn them up loud, so build a more powerful tube amp.

cheers,

george

Opinions, anyone? [message #34052 is a reply to message #34050] Sat, 13 October 2001 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Lots of people here are running low power SET and Pi Speakers. If you have two good corners, use six Pi or seven Pi cornerhorns. If not, use one of the smaller models. I'm a bit biased as you can understand, but I don't think you can find better speakers.
Good sized room [message #34053 is a reply to message #34052] Sat, 13 October 2001 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
StylinLP is currently offline  StylinLP
Esquire
Room size is 12' wide and 18' deep and deeper is the front door entry hall 6x8'. In the middle of my 12' wide wall is my 36" Sony Vega on TV stand. Have 5 shelf homemade stereo pine rack against wall next to TV. So there is only 1' wall left between the rack and side wall. Basically, I have my two Mirage towers 1' forward on both sides of the TV so they are 4' from back wall and 3' from side walls.

----------------------------------------------------
[--sony 36"---] [-rack-]
[ ]
[Spker] [Spker]

Im curious about the actual speaker cones. Ive read about Lowther and Hammer Dynamics interesting cone in the S-12. What makes the cones in the Pi's so good?

Various motors [message #34054 is a reply to message #34053] Sun, 14 October 2001 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Of course you want a cone that is well-behaved above its pistonic range. That's probably the most important thing where cones are concerned. When a speaker is operated in its pistonic range, cone material isn't very important. The biggest improvements come from improvements in the motor because that's where most nonlinearities come from. In this regard, our best models use motors with precision machined magnetic structures including shorting rings. That results in distortion reduction on the order of 15dB, about a 50-fold improvement.
Re: Newbie interested in Pi Speakers [message #34055 is a reply to message #34050] Sun, 14 October 2001 05:16 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Replay. Choose a theater four pi, or perhaps a pro four pi. They will both be very tube friendly. I would build a larger tube amp though. Check out Bruce R's website
www.transcendentsound.com He sells output transformerless tube amps; they are available in kit form. You would get great sound, and more available volume. If you build your mentioned amp, you could also use a ss amp for those times when you choose to rock the house.
Goog luck,
Steve
Previous Topic: tweeter
Next Topic: Audiophile Pi's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 14:44:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers