Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Internal coating/damping
Internal coating/damping [message #34032] Tue, 09 October 2001 16:20 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've been thinking about coatings for the insides of the cabinets, as I'm going to be using veneer on the MDF, and you have to do to one side what you do to the other. And of course it would be nice if the coating had a beneficial effect on the sound. I'm reading about silicate loaded paints, rust-inhibiting compounds, butyl sprays, etc.
Anyone have any ideas on readily available coatings?
Re: Internal coating/damping [message #34033 is a reply to message #34032] Tue, 09 October 2001 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Some people have use sealants to resist moisture. This is useful in high humidity environments, particularly if the wood is MDF.

Re: Internal coating/damping [message #34034 is a reply to message #34033] Wed, 10 October 2001 01:48 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
According to the "old school", of which I'm a charter member, veneering a substrate puts stress on it from the seasonal movement of the wood veneer, small as it may be. Therefore, you use a cheaper veneer on the other side to balance. Technically, you should even "counterbalance" plastic laminate, although no one does any more.
Spray water on, or apply a moisture-rich adhesive like hide glue to veneer on one side and watch it curl. When you use hide glue to veneer, you apply it to both sides, then scrape the glue off the face side after it dries.
That's why I am seeking a sprayed or brushed on coating, as much for the counterbalance effect as for sealing and sound damping.
Previous Topic: Cabinets....
Next Topic: Pi Web site
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 04:15:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout