Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Compensation components w/ 6db slopes?
Compensation components w/ 6db slopes? [message #34026] Mon, 08 October 2001 15:31 Go to next message
Kramer is currently offline  Kramer
Chancellor

Hi, Wayne! Your crossover papers have been really informative. I'd like to use 6db slopes in my crossover design, but I also want high-freq compensation for the HF compression driver -- if I want 35 ohms additional resistance for the horn driver (on a JBL 2380 clone), do I simply parallel this with a .47uf cap and then calculate the crossover cap size based on the total resistance (8 ohms for the driver + 35 ohms?). Do I need to use a tradional L-pad for the best response? Thanks!

Re: Compensation components w/ 6db slopes? [message #34027 is a reply to message #34026] Mon, 08 October 2001 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I would not recommend a variable L-Pad, but would recommend a series/parallel attenuator using fixed value resistors. Put an HF augmentation capacitor across the series resistor.

The network I use in my speakers will work for you, using values R1=16 ohms, R2=30 ohms and C1=0.47uF. It is a little different configuration than usual, with the shunt resistor in front of the series resistor, because it was designed to provide a specific amount of damping for my crossover. But it will work for you very nicely. Load impedance is about 12 ohms, so keep that in mind when choosing your crossover cap.

Thanks! (nt) [message #34029 is a reply to message #34027] Tue, 09 October 2001 14:26 Go to previous message
Kramer is currently offline  Kramer
Chancellor

Previous Topic: JBL E155-4
Next Topic: 2426H drivers FS- $300 for the pair
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 16:32:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers