Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » *** Woofer Enclosure ***
*** Woofer Enclosure *** [message #33882] Thu, 20 September 2001 21:35 Go to next message
Loppybogymi is currently offline  Loppybogymi
Esquire
I have two 12" woofers in a 2.5 cu ft enclosure. Should there be a divider between the two? Or can they share the same air space?---(~~~~)---(~~~~)---
| |
| |
---------------------

OR

---(~~~~)---(~~~~)---
| | |
| | |
---------------------

Re: *** Dual Woofer Enclosure *** [message #33883 is a reply to message #33882] Thu, 20 September 2001 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As long as the woofers are the same, either way is fine. I suppose it wouldn't be the end of the world if they're not the same, but it's more difficult to find an optimal solution having two different woofers in a shared chamber. If they're different motors, I'd use separate cabinets. If not, one cabinet that's tuned for the pair is fine.

Re: *** Dual Woofer Enclosure *** [message #33884 is a reply to message #33883] Thu, 20 September 2001 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for your reply Wayne. I was asking this question because it sounds like one of the woofers "pops" every now and then. Both woofers are the exact same spec. I thought it was busted so I replaced it and the same thing happens.
Re: *** Dual Woofer Enclosure *** [message #33885 is a reply to message #33884] Fri, 21 September 2001 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like the woofers are being overdriven.

Let's confirm a few things.

1. Are the two speakers in phase? I mean, is red or plus connected to red or plus on the other woofer?

2. Can you tell me some specs? It sounds like the woofers are being driven past their excursion limits. So can you describe woofer and box specs? Alternately, tell me Xmax, Vas, Frd and Qts for the woofers and also cabinet particulars.

3. Only one woofer pops? Does the symptom "follow the woofer", or does it "follow the position"? What I mean is this: swap positions of the two identical woofers, and tell me if the one that popped still does in the new position, or if the other woofer begins to pop instead.

4. What components are used between amplifier and speaker? Is there a crossover? If so, what kind? Is it a coil and a capacitor, or just a coil? Or is there more inside? And if there is a crossover are there separate connections for each woofer, or is there one connection that is shared by both woofers?

The answers to these questions will probably shed some light on this problem.

Re: *** Dual Woofer Enclosure *** [message #33887 is a reply to message #33885] Fri, 21 September 2001 07:48 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks again for your reply Wayne. All of your points check out OK. I think I just figured it out...I have them setup in stereo, so one is getting a slightly different audio signal than the other.
Previous Topic: Crossover document - Rough draft
Next Topic: Newbie here!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 03:28:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout