Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Are reconed drivers as good as the original?
Are reconed drivers as good as the original? [message #33584] Mon, 23 July 2001 20:13 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I am considering purchasing a pair of 2226H drivers that have just been freshly reconed by Thunderhead Reconing in Wisconson, I can get the pair for $320...or should I just save a few more bucks and buy new ones for $279ea?

Re: Are reconed drivers as good as the original? [message #33585 is a reply to message #33584] Tue, 24 July 2001 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've found that recones by factory authorized technicians are 100% as good as the original. Of course, that "factory authorized" business doesn't guarantee that the technician is any good, but you know what I mean. If the magnet is still as powerful, and only the cone needs to be replaced, my experience is that it will perform 100% as good as new after the speaker is remanufactured.

After all, the 2226H is designed to be serviced. It has field replaceable parts, so it's not terribly difficult to do, even with few tools. And the magnet is ferrite ceramic, which is pretty shock resistant. They tend to retain their magnetism, even after minor physical or electromagnetic shock.

Re: Are reconed drivers as good as the original? [message #33597 is a reply to message #33585] Wed, 25 July 2001 23:43 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
Thanks Wayne
Previous Topic: Piezo drivers and cross-overs
Next Topic: New "Systems Descriptions" page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 20:30:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio