Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 6th order bandpass tuning question
6th order bandpass tuning question [message #33457] Sun, 24 June 2001 05:03 Go to next message
Luke is currently offline  Luke
Esquire
This might seem like a dumb question, but i'm new to this topic so go easy on me :)

I've built a vented speaker box before, but want extra bass from my current driver. Thanks to WinISD I've decided to gain an extra 10hz by building a 6th order bandpass (at -3db, from 43 to 33 hz)

The question is, does it matter how much of the port tube is inside the rear chamber? The port length is tuned to 15hz and that equates to a 280cm long port with a diameter of 10cm...

Will it matter if only 180cm of pipe is in the rear chamber and the rest is lead through the front? No sound waves from the front will actually make it into the rear port as everything will be sealed..

Any help would be appreciated

Sorry if the description is bad.. if no understands i'll sign up for a free web page and upload a picture of the design..

Re: 6th order bandpass tuning question [message #33462 is a reply to message #33457] Sun, 24 June 2001 12:38 Go to previous message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master

first you should know ....... The transient performance of 6th order bandpass systems is usually worse than the sealed, ported and 4th order bandpass systems, making it more suitable for sound reinforcement, multimedia and other less critical applications, rather than high-end audio. Like ported systems, the driver becomes unloaded at frequencies lower than the passband.

It does not matter how much of the port is inside the enclosure , hell if you want to go ahead and mount the entire port externally, just make sure and account for how much space the port is using inside the enclosure when making your calculations.

Previous Topic: Motorola KSN1188a?
Next Topic: where can i get materials to build a crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 17:16:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout