Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers for HT use?
Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33387] Sun, 27 May 2001 15:13 Go to next message
James W. Johnson is currently offline  James W. Johnson
Master
I am looking for a very efficient speaker to be used for my home theater and music system, It has been recommended to me to look into Pi speakers but I do not see that any of them are shielded.
Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33389 is a reply to message #33387] Sun, 27 May 2001 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Pi Speakers do not include magnetic shielding, and most of them have drivers with large, powerful magnets. So if you must place the speakers physically close to the television set - these are a "no go." They'll deflect the electron beam and warp the screen, changing colors and shape of things on the screen.

As an aside, I've also noticed mechanical vibration causing distortion of the picture. This isn't caused by magnetism - its from physical vibration movement of the yoke. I see it when running my speakers, and they are physically too far away for magnetism to interfere with the yoke.

Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33392 is a reply to message #33389] Sun, 27 May 2001 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
So if I wanted to keep all 5 speakers the same which would you recommend?...note that this system is used for music as well and I am looking for audiophile performance and super high SPLs.
Thanks
Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33393 is a reply to message #33392] Sun, 27 May 2001 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd run all Professional Series four Pi's. But they're not magnetically shielded.
Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33396 is a reply to message #33393] Mon, 28 May 2001 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master

What style of enclosure do the Fours use?

Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33397 is a reply to message #33396] Mon, 28 May 2001 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It's a DI-matched two-way horn loudspeaker, meaning crossover is made where the direct radiating midwoofer narrows to match the directivity of the tweeter horn. This provides smooth on-axis and off-axis response, smooth directivity and a more uniform reverberent field. The cabinet provides bass-reflex loading for the bass. It's slightly overdamped, so the rolloff is gradual and the system is insensitive to parameter shifts from high power, environmental conditions, etc.
Re: Pi Speakers for HT use? [message #33401 is a reply to message #33389] Mon, 28 May 2001 16:11 Go to previous message
newjerseybt is currently offline  newjerseybt
Chancellor
Hi Wayne!

A trick we used to do with aircraft power supplies when x-formers
were in close proximity to sensitive circuitry, was to encase the
transformer in mu metal. The metal looked like the galvanized steel
used to construct old milk boxes (back in the 50s) and 1/32 of
an inch thickness would make short work of the surrounding flux.

I bet one sheet of this metal inside the speaker enclosure
facing the TV would do the trick. The only drawback would be cost.

Sincerely, Bill

Previous Topic: Truck bed liner for pro audio spkr covering
Next Topic: enclosure plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 03:56:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers