Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Solid vents?
Solid vents? [message #33383] Sun, 27 May 2001 07:41 Go to next message
Andy G is currently offline  Andy G
Viscount
When Wayne sent me the PiAlign box measurements for the Eminence Gamma 12, he made the following comment. "You'll never find port material 2.45" in diameter and cutting to lengths like 1.62" is pretty impossible too"........ Now that got me thinking!

Most of us probably use proprietry plastic vents, which of course limits us to the certain diameters that are available. Has anyone every tried building up a vent with rings of varying thickness of mdf laminated together. You could then make the vent longer or shorter as required, just by adding or removing thicknesses. Also exit flaring could easily be done with a router. Tapering might be a different issue though !!

Re: Solid vents? [message #33384 is a reply to message #33383] Sun, 27 May 2001 14:43 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Some of my designs have ports made by drilling through a block of wood formed by panels layered on the baffle. Start with two or three small square panels of the same wood stock used for the cabinet, just large enough to cover the diameter required. Glue those to the baffle and drill through with a hole cutter. Any diameter port is easy to make this way, especially for relatively short ports that only need two or three panels glued to the baffle to get the desired length.
Previous Topic: Im Alive
Next Topic: Their is a lot to be learned in effeciency designing from car audio.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 07:29:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio