Home » Audio » General » Zu IC's
Zu IC's [message #3333] Thu, 06 July 2006 21:54 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Begged some money from the SO (IOU bigtime) and purchased a pair of Zu Oxyfuels on ebay for $25 direct from Zu, warranty and all. I had emailed them about the Pils to see if they were shielded (they're not)and they tipped me about the Oxyfuel promo they were doing. $100 cable for $25 to go between my TT and phono pre.

Re: Zu IC's [message #3335 is a reply to message #3333] Fri, 07 July 2006 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Shane,
Keep us informed of the quality of these cables as soon as you can? So, possibly some of us can get in on the prototype special at $25.
What a deal!
Norris

Re: Zu IC's [message #3336 is a reply to message #3335] Fri, 07 July 2006 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Norris, good to see you back! Did you get your virus problem taken care of?

I gather they run this promotional deal on their ebay store all the time for different IC's and other cables they have. I've read good and poor reviews on the Oxyfuel, but it's up to the ole ears in the end.

Most of the guys over at the headphone forums dislike them, but I think 99% of the reason is these are suppossed to be pretty stiff cables and the RCS connetors fit real tight. Not too conducive to plugging/unplugging all the time or hooking up to a lightweight headamp. But I think in a system where once plugged in to heavy equipment and staying there it won't be a problem.

Re: Zu IC's [message #3338 is a reply to message #3336] Fri, 07 July 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Shane,
I got the multiple virus problems that plagued my computer for over three weeks straightened out. I was running the 2005 version of Norton's anti-virus program, but the viruses kept getting through.
I broke down and bought the latest Norton program with all of the bells and whistles. The new version has caught several Trojan viruses and spyware since being loaded, no problems since. Hooray!
The Zu Cable being overly stiff and hard to pull off of the RCA plug should not pose any problems being used as you described. Let me know how it works out in sound quality when you get it?
I hope you and the family are doing well.
Norris

Re: Zu IC's-got em' [message #3341 is a reply to message #3338] Wed, 12 July 2006 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
These seem to be very nicely constructed. They are pretty darn stiff, too! The RCA ends fit snug, but I don't think overly tight on my NAD stuff, just have to make sure I grab the end firmly and be gentle with the removal. My cabinet that houses my equipment happens to have an open back on each side of a center piece, so I was able to hook them up to the amp, make a small loop (about 6" diameter) poking into the space between the shelves right behind the CDP, then bring them into the CDP on the shelf below with smooth curves. If I hadn't had the open back I don't think I could have used these very easily.

Anyway, my initial impression for the first 30 min. or so was that they lacked some bass compared to the $2 cheapo's I was using. But the mids and high end opened way up and filled the room much better. I let the CDP run on repeat for about 4 hours with low volume and a little Megadeth playing and just came back in for a listen. The bass seems to be back and the "airyness???" is still there. They sound better. Definitely better than the junk ones. Worth every penny of $25. I couldn't build these for less than that.

These are my first decent cables and so far I like them. But I think spending more than $50 on a set of cables is ridiculus. I'd rather spend it on more music.

I report back after I've got some real hours on them.

Question: Do you think cables really burn in, or is it just your brain and ears getting used to a new setup?

Re: Zu IC's-got em' [message #3354 is a reply to message #3341] Sat, 15 July 2006 06:58 Go to previous message
Grand Master
Shane,

The Zu cables look to be a gift at the price you paid.

As far as break in goes, I would say they will get slightly better over the next 200 hours of use. If they are not fully broken in by then, the sound character will not be changing much.

I am with you about spending big dollars on interconnects. I know there is some great expense to having custom metal urgy done.
But, some of the prices that the high end cable companies are asking for their products is indecent. And some of their advertisement tactics are even more indecent. Life is not always about us and our ego's.

Isn't this hobby suppose to be about the music?

Keep us posted about the break in progress of the Zu cables?

Norris

Previous Topic: Cream of the crop
Next Topic: Northcreek to Discontinue DIY Sales
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 23:47:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers