Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How low can a Pi go?
How low can a Pi go? [message #33175] Sun, 08 April 2001 16:42 Go to next message
Randy Bey is currently offline  Randy Bey
Chancellor
Would a single, bass driver only, Pi folded horn go lower than my Klipschorns? That is, using 2226's or 2241's?

I am looking for as low as I can go, anywhere in the 20-29hz range is acceptable. My K's start rolling off at 50 and are dead quiet at 35.

I wanna lower response, but all the acoustic suspension sub's I've heard...well, they suck. All of the boominess and none of the bang.

Re: How low can a Pi go? [message #33177 is a reply to message #33175] Mon, 09 April 2001 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The seven Pi with JBL 2226 is -3dB at 50Hz and -10dB at 35Hz in freespace. The seven Pi with JBL 2241 is -3dB at 40Hz and -10dB at 27Hz, again in freespace. Rolloff is smooth and slow too, with fl below 20Hz, so there is useable bass well below those frequencies. Also understand that those figures are for reference only, as a Pi cornerhorn is never used in freespace. When used as intended, in corners, there is considerable bass lift from corner loading and room gain.

The seven Pi cornerhorn design is purposely overdamped slightly to conjugate room gain and corner loading. The alignment results in slow, steady rolloff in freespace response. If you didn't have this gradual rolloff, then in-room response would be boomy. The bass lift from room pressurization happens at the rate of 12dB/octave starting at a low frequency set by the dimensions of the room.

When used in room corners as intended, the -3dB point is generally shifted down in frequency somewhere between the -10dB point and the -3dB point. In smaller rooms this occurs higher than larger rooms, so in the smallest rooms the -3dB point will be closer to the frequency where it's -10dB in freespace. In larger rooms, the in-room response will be closer to the freespace response.

Re: How low can a Pi go? [message #33196 is a reply to message #33175] Wed, 11 April 2001 23:24 Go to previous message
jsalve is currently offline  jsalve
Chancellor
Hi Randy,

With PI-7 cornerhorns and TAD 1602 there is no need for a subwoofer, I am getting response down to 25Hz and about 1kHz at the other end. It is also very effecient, I was using my 180W SS amp on these but just for kicks I tried my 45 Parafeed amp on it and boy was I surprised!! At 1/10th the power of my SS, bass is taut and detailed not flabby at all. Of course I have to listen with the volume at 3/4 compared to only 1/4 with the SS. So I am thinking a 300B should be more than enough and kick butt with these horns.

Jeff

Previous Topic: building 10's with a friend
Next Topic: Convince me that JBL are worthwhile over and above Eminence
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 04:04:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers