Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Vitavox
Vitavox [message #33047] Fri, 23 March 2001 15:52 Go to next message
karlsonkit is currently offline  karlsonkit
Esquire
Hi Wayne!
Congratulations and thank you for the forum!
(and also for measure conversion program).
I want to build a pair of cornerhorns for Vitavox speakers: I have a
pair of 15" AK-15/40, and also crossovers, S2 drivers and horns.
I want to use them in home-cinema system. The center way will be a
Vitavox/Klipschorn speaker (Ref CN191), I have one with same speakers.
What do you think about compatibility ?
I have some difficulties to calculate the measures of the Pi-horns.
Can you help me?
I know some (unverified) T/S parameters:
FS: 43.5HZ
Re: 9.57 Ohm
Qms:9.173
Qts:0.304
Sd: 8.04^2m^2
Cms:2.35^4
Vas:7.42 cub.ft(212L)
dB 1W/1M :99dB

Thanks

Pi's with Vitavox motors [message #33052 is a reply to message #33047] Fri, 23 March 2001 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
PiAlign recommends a 2.25 cubic foot box tuned to 54 Hz with either a cylindrical port of 7.2" diameter and 10" long or a rectangular port that's 4.75" x 8.5" and 10" inches long.

If you're considering a bass reflex box, then the boxes should be approximately 24" x 16" x 10" - but this includes no offset due to the volume displaced by internal components and the thickness of the wood. I'd expect that your actual cabinet needs to be closer to 28" x 20" x 12".

If you're planning a cornerhorn, then the motor cabinet should be 32" x 16" x 8" - again, having no offset for volume. And again, I expect that your actual dimensions after including the displacement of all the parts inside will be something like 36" x 20" x 10".

Let us know how they sound.

Re: Pi's with Vitavox motors [message #33053 is a reply to message #33052] Fri, 23 March 2001 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karlsonkit is currently offline  karlsonkit
Esquire
Thank you for info!
I think I'll try cornerhorns, to get the same kind of response.
Friendly yours
Vitavox response curve [message #33058 is a reply to message #33053] Sat, 24 March 2001 01:26 Go to previous message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
I used Carlson's BoxPlot to predict the response curve of your Vitavox speaker in a PiAlign'ed enclosure. So if the specs you gave me were accurate, you can expect excellent performance form these speakers. The response curve looks very good.

You can expect nice, flat response from bass-reflex speakers, but it would be even better to put them in a Pi cornerhorn. Cornerhorns operate in approximately eighth space, although they aren't exactly that because you have a ceiling. So they're greater than eighth space at the very lowest frequencies. And they are similar to a conical horn flare - stand back and look at the two walls of the corner together with the floor and the ceiling. Looks just like a huge horn, doesn't it? It's a linear expansion (conical) horn with a very large flare and mouth.

Basically, what this does for you is two fold. First, you have the properties of cornerhorn loading, which will boost your bass. Secondly, you have a reflector that will direct the source into the listening environment. This will provide "gain" through the midbass and midrange frequencies, simply by virtue of the fact that distibution is not omnidirectional, but is rather directed into the listening room. Between the two of these effects, you will increase speaker output from the bottom octave through the midrange frequencies.

Basically, my conclusion is that I'd be happy with your Vitavox speakers in either a PiAligned bass-reflex speaker or a Pi cornerhorn.

Previous Topic: Piece of Pi
Next Topic: Pi's and Tubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 09 23:16:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout