Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » bracing theater pi 7's
bracing theater pi 7's [message #33044] Fri, 23 March 2001 13:40 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi wayne, my cabinet maker is building the cabinets now. your plans do not mention bracing. can i do with out? he's using 15 ply russian birch ply 3/4". also your thoughts on placing tiptoes on the base of the cabinents.
p.s. great idea adding the forum
Bracing [message #33050 is a reply to message #33044] Fri, 23 March 2001 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne_Parham is currently offline  Wayne_Parham
Master
I recommend placing braces every 18". For the larger bass reflex and cornerhorns, the best way to do this is with 2" x 3/4" hardwood stock fastened perpendicular between panels and connecting them. So in your case, I would connect the front and back baffle panels together with two braces - one placed between the woofer and cabinet bottom and one half way between the woofer and the top. It's easy and effective.

Also use the braces as a place to put R11 or R13 spanning the cross-section of the cabinet. You want insulation to cover three-sides of the cabinet's interior, and in large cabinets you also want to break it up into sections seperated with sheets of insulation spanning the cross-section. It does a great job of trapping unwanted midrange reflections but bass will pass right through.

Re: bracing theater pi 7's [message #33068 is a reply to message #33044] Sun, 25 March 2001 13:47 Go to previous message
jlharden is currently offline  jlharden
Viscount
Hi,

I have considered braces utilizing threaded rod and turnbuckles. I wouldn't think you would need very large rod because of the strength of the steel. You could use the turnbuckles to provide the exact amount of pull or push on the opposing panels. With the small amount of raw materials used you shouldn't have to adjust much for the displacement. The only thing that I think to consider and have discussed lightly with Wayne is resonance of the steel. I think we decided it to be a non issue. Just more food for thought. Jerrod

Previous Topic: Crossovers and phase shifts
Next Topic: *ping* RBP - L-200 project update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 09 09:13:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout