Home » Audio » Group Build » Galahad Amp
Galahad Amp [message #31745] Sun, 12 February 2006 13:47 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What's the latest on the Galahad amp? Have there been any mods, or is the design something that could be considered complete? I know all things are subject to improvements, but I was just wondering if and when this design might be ready for prime time. I'd like to build one, but not until I'm sure it's good to go.

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31746 is a reply to message #31745] Sun, 12 February 2006 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It is good.
The Miller Neutralizing caps, and the front end's g2 dropping R are the only things I can't fill in any more details about. Figure about 5" of the coax I'm familiar with for each of the caps, and adjust the g2 R until it gives the specified voltage for the front end.

Do you want me to send Heyboer the S-230-Q for cloning? or did you have another output in mind? I'd guess at a little bit lower price for the smaller 20W v. the 40W S-265-Q which also had the E-Linear mods done to it.

The dropping R will also depend on the B+, which I'd suggest making right on 300, maybe plus a bit, but no lower. If you cathode bias, add 60V to the B+.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31747 is a reply to message #31746] Sun, 12 February 2006 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not really blessed with a lot of extra time at this point, so it will be a little while before I can actually do anything. But I can start procuring parts, and maybe get a metal shop to fabricate a chassis. I'm kind of wanting to do it right, have a nice chassis made and chrome plated, that sort of thing. So I'll need to make sure of all the dimensions and what not before I start. As for transformers, I don't know what direction I'll take. I sort of expected you would have a part in mind. If Heyboer has a part available, that would be cool. Or maybe a James transformer or Audio Note. I dunno.

Re: Galahad Amp [message #31748 is a reply to message #31747] Sun, 12 February 2006 16:49 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
well...the having a part in hand is just a matter of timing. I am cloning the Peerless S-230 for mine. I'll probably have a few taps put in so I can later use it with a pentode if I wish.

I will hopefully have a serious distraction for my amp building in the future, hence the offer I made in the 'Vault' post below. Make the arrangements with Heyboer and the original will be delivered for unwinding. Don't worry, it is only a single that I acquired just for that purpose, and moving the schedule up so somebody else can benefit looks like a reasonable thing to do.

I am still contemplating a cathode driven PP 211 running near 1kV and using a 3k:500 as a PP:PP IT. Maybe drive with 6L6GC in E-Linear. Nice thing is the cathode is a fairly flat load to drive so a lot of NFB/damping factor won't be needed. Maybe after the 813 project...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: from the Vault
Next Topic: 300B Project, Part 6 - Cascode driver a little more
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 01:17:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers