Home » Audio » Group Build » LED values?
LED values? [message #30349] Tue, 01 February 2005 20:35 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I remember somewhere that the LEDs are supposed to be around 20mA apiece. I do not remember if there is was a specified voltage. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Re: LED values? [message #30350 is a reply to message #30349] Wed, 02 February 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Light-emitting diodes are like other diodes, in that they are formed by a semiconductor PN junction. The semiconductor material of the junction is what sets the voltage required to forward-bias it. For example, germanium diodes are forward biased at 0.3v and silicon diodes at 0.7v. That's what sets the operating voltage of a silicon of germanuium transistor too.

Light-emitting diodes use different semicondutor junctions to provide different colors, and each has a different forward-voltage requirement, usually between 1 and 4 volts. The typical red LED requires about 1.7 volts. Semiconductor junctions that provide higher frequency colors require higher forward voltage bias.

Red lead [message #30351 is a reply to message #30350] Wed, 02 February 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
The red seem to be the quietest. It could be done with a 4V single, perhpas green or blue, but I have found even orange ones to contribute some noise. Perhaps it was just the Radio-Shack ones I tried, but...

The 20 mA red, standard red, are the ones you want. The internal resistance of the specialty red ones is not optimum for Audio use.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Red lead [message #30355 is a reply to message #30351] Wed, 02 February 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those little LEDs always make me think of fireflys.

What about using a string of regular silicon diodes? I've used them to bias circuits a lot, but the first time I saw an LED used for this was in the CCS on Bottlehead stuff. You get higher forward-bias voltage with an LED than a regular solid state diode but you can sure use a series string instead. I always thought the LEDs were used for effect as much as anything else.

interesting... [message #30358 is a reply to message #30355] Wed, 02 February 2005 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have a feeling that a small string of Schottky would be a cool idea. Forward biased at ~.4V each. We'd need more than two, but it would offer a far finer adjustment of the bias voltage.

I suspect that the Schotky would be quieterin fwd bias than a Si one would be. Nice suggestion I must say. If I didn't need a 20-30 of them in the new one ( instead of 6 red LED's ), I'e be solderig up a string.
regards,
Douglas

Re: interesting... [message #30359 is a reply to message #30358] Wed, 02 February 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Schottky diodes might be attractive. But the problem is that the voltage across them is much lower, so you'd need even more of them.

Re: LED values? [message #30363 is a reply to message #30349] Wed, 02 February 2005 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
For the adventurous, a 6BE3 TV damping diode @ 15mA current should give approx 3-3.5 V bias voltage.

Saw this done this way on the Axiom Amp. Haven't tried it, but it sure looks interesting.

Joe

Re: LED values? [message #30371 is a reply to message #30350] Wed, 02 February 2005 16:13 Go to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The red LED at RS were rated between 2.1 and 2.3V, and ranged anywhere from 15 to 60mA current draw....Colin

Previous Topic: Presenting....
Next Topic: Heater PS schematic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 25 02:25:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout