Home » Audio » General » AudioXpress watch
Re: AudioXpress watch [message #2957 is a reply to message #2956] Wed, 05 April 2006 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Martin; I thought about what you said regarding articles and how they have an interest or they don't. I wonder if it is possible to provide such articles at all anymore. Aside from the IP issues involved what would be the incentive for someone to offer an expensive or unique driver in an innovative cabinet geometry to the general public. I mean if the enclosure was a novel design and the driver was perfectly suited to that situation; they would probably be marketting it for profit.

Many of the AX articles I see are written by the same handfull of guys looking to show different ways they have constructed audio gear or recycling old ideas under new construction techniques.

What I would like to see is; the examination of new parts and techniques for building things. Ie; taking parts out of all of the catalogues that we usually don't see and showing how they can be used in construction; tolerances; methods of mounting; universal applications of common pieces.

Really at the end of the day has there been a serious improvement in the home constructors ability to design and build his own stuff that will compete with whats out there. Other than individuals like yourself who have experimented deeply into one aspect of sound reproduction and acquired reams of usable data that can be applied to designs similar to what you study and thereby creating the potential for better sound in that venue; has there been a general quantifiable improvement in sound reproduction in the last ten years?

My point is what would a magazine offer? Reffering back to your point that they are pretty pedestrian and rehashed articles; of which I agree BTW. I ask you as a result of your comparison to the internet and the fact that you have thought about this and your experience in DIY experimentation. I would be interested to know what types of articles of interest you would seek to read.
Thanks Much.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message