Home » Audio » General » AudioXpress watch
Re: AudioXpress watch [message #2956 is a reply to message #2950] Tue, 04 April 2006 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Martin is currently offline  Martin
Master
Jim,

My experience parallels yours, I also have every issue of speaker builder and each year I debate continuing my aX subscription. I keep renewing and I am not sure why, it only takes me a few minutes to "read" the latest aX when it arrives and not much interesting stuff is found inside. There have only been one or two speaker articles in AX the past couple of years that I thought were of much interest. I am not interested in any more small two way projects or kits. I was hoping that aX would present more aggressive or unique designs, something that made me think or introduced a new enclosure geometry or exotic driver. The tube audio stuff is of no interest to me.

The Internet is a much better source of info. I think one of the problems with aX is the long wait for an article to appear in print, on the Internet it can be instantaneous and feedback follws almost immediately. While you need to be careful of what you find on the Internet and think a little about the information presented, I don't think that aX is necessarily much better. The technical review of articles submitted must be fairly shallow and they do not seem to know what is old news on the Internet.

I guess the only positive thing to come to me from aX occured after I filled out an on line survey telling them how unhappy I was with the speaker related content. It was not a positive survey response by a long shot. Low and behold I won that months drawing and received a free book from their on line store.

I think aX's days are numbered and it will be intereting see how much longer they can continue.

Martin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message