Home » Audio » Craftsmen » saw purchasing
Re: saw purchasing [message #29411 is a reply to message #29410] Fri, 11 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Jim,

A table saw is a great tool to have for cabinet making. On the other hand, I've completed four sets of speakers in the past two years without one. My reluctance to purchase one is based on a combination of cost, space, and infrequency of use. I've been relying on my local HD to cut the panels to size for me, and to date, all cuts have been within tolerance for my needs. For small panels, I've made-do with a circular saw and cutting guide. It can be just as accurate as a table saw, but requires more time to set up properly.

Whether you need a table saw really depends on you. It'll certainly give you more flexibility and speed, and with the right jigs, allow you to do some things that you can't do otherwise. If you have the space, will use it often, and require lots of angled and bevelled cuts, then go for it. However, if you're just planning on using it to build just one set of simple squared sided cabinets, then I think there are better ways.

Gar.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: New glue for easy veneering
Next Topic: Are there any deals on router bits on the internet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 12:33:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio