Home » Audio » General » Thoughts
Re: Piffle [message #2898 is a reply to message #2897] Sun, 26 March 2006 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Just pasture for the sheep. We raise a few Suffolk here. I retired from the Corps of Engineers and went to work for a farmer. A lot less stress

I'm out of the market for 19's after realizing the only gain I'd hear would be better & lower bass response because of the larger cabinet volume. So I'll go with what I have.

Re: One last Piffle--Armadillos Come in pairs [message #2899 is a reply to message #2896] Sun, 26 March 2006 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We had a trivia contest from the local university in which every year
they would play a jingle recorded from someplace:

Armadillos come in pairs
Any you know what they say, it's more fun that way.

It wasn't until many years later that I learned the
jingle was about shoes.

How do you convey "emotion" through a device? [message #2900 is a reply to message #2858] Sun, 26 March 2006 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
her eare ome thoughts:
1. I fail to see how a device can convey emotion. It can certainly EXCITe emotion, and often that is to dowith things like:
a) how much was spent on it.
b) what do the "critics" hae to say about it?
c) How does it look?

which answers your prevous question about why folksoend so much on cable. Cos it excites emotion.
-akhilesh

By telling you that it will make you special. [message #2902 is a reply to message #2900] Mon, 27 March 2006 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
This $600 wire will take you to the next level of Nervana.

Come to think of it, I remeber a brand of cables by that name.

The majority of sales techniques pandor to our insecurities by boosting our EGO's through sex. Or this can be done by making us feel superior by causing us to think the product in question is a magic potion. A potion that will make us verile and strong, or even possibly lead us to Nervana.

"Dumb all over, and a little ugly on the side"

And we wonder why there are so many arrogant control freak's wrecking havoc on the world, the Alpha.

There is a belief that we were made with the free will to choose. To choose to be led by our animalistic instincts, or to be guided by our spirit.

Norris Wilson

Re: Piffle [message #2903 is a reply to message #2898] Mon, 27 March 2006 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Makes sense to me. The V's sound just fine really. I wouldn't mind a nice furniture grade cabinet though.

Re: How do you convey "emotion" through a device? [message #2905 is a reply to message #2900] Mon, 27 March 2006 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
How do you convey emotion through a device?? How about a piano device? Or a violin device?
As far as how much Mr Simon spent on the Device; he built it.
It doesn't really look all that great; just a plain black box.

Re: By telling you that it will make you special. [message #2906 is a reply to message #2902] Mon, 27 March 2006 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not sure I follow you here.

Re: Piffle [message #2907 is a reply to message #2903] Mon, 27 March 2006 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I'd like to find some cabinets as mine look like the wreck of the Hesperus. After 30+ years and 20+ moves they look a little ratty.

Re: By telling you that it will make you special. [message #2908 is a reply to message #2906] Tue, 28 March 2006 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Manualblock,

My main point is the tools that are used in promoting products in the market place. They usually play to our personal insecurities and animalistic instincts, lust and superiority, the Alpha.
Suggesting, that their products some how will get you babes, or make you whole in some fashion.

These are the standard marketing tools of the trade, automobile and audio cables advertisements are a good example.

Do you remeber seeing the cable advertisement in a Stereo magazine that had a naked lady posing with a power cable running up her back?
I wonder what that was suppose to represent?

I have to also agree with Bob Brines on his point of Elitism.

It would be hard for me to justify spending $600 for a set of cables, even if I was rolling in money.

But, to be fair, I have heard a significant difference in signal quality between a pair of $450 interconnects, and a pair of $2500 interconnects.
But, on the other hand, I have read where many people who roll their own cables. Have heard a significant difference in signal quality between $50 worth of cable parts, over a $450 set of pre-manufactured cables.

Sometimes it can just come down to personal priorities, and the size of your bank account. I would not want to begrudge anyone who has earned a good living the right to spend it on what ever they desire.

But, aren't audio signal cables and wires, essentually an R/C filter?
And I wonder how much psycho-acoustics plays in our audio purchasing decisions?

Sorry for the RANT, it is just an opinion.

Norris Wilson

Re: By telling you that it will make you special. [message #2909 is a reply to message #2908] Tue, 28 March 2006 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Norris You don't have to apologise for the rant that was the purpose of the post in the first place.
I posted three examples of essays that I just happened to read in the past week; it struck me as odd that I would see three points of view like that in one week.
Points of view that did not seem to follow the usual rap we see on all of these threads that deal with how people percieve things audio in nature.
Now all of your points are well taken and well recorded on many of the discussions we see on ART.
Let me ask you this; when you listen to a piece of gear; do you feel that you think it sounds better if it is shiny and expensive looking?
How about the times you have heard something you thought sounded good and the unit was not even in sight? Did that change your opinion when you finally saw the unit; and it looked like crap?
But I only posted those examples of others who wrote certain opinions we don't see that often as food for thought. And the post got a good response. I just didn't want it to be percieved as me proposing those same tired old arguments regarding sound and how it is percieved.
I just ask that people read the posts and really try to think outside the box on this.
It's good to see you participate as well as everyone else; because I don't think this issue is all that simple and the more people who actually put some real thought into this the better the outcome will be.
Remmember; if marketting was all that simple and influenceing people was all that easy; would companies spend literally billions of dollars on research trying to find ways to influence purchasing descisions?

Previous Topic: Funny Life
Next Topic: Metallic glass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 02:20:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout