Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Two-Tone Outer Front Baffles
Two-Tone Outer Front Baffles [message #29065] Mon, 26 April 2004 09:44 Go to previous message
elektratig is currently offline  elektratig
Grand Master

Others here seem to create works of great beauty at the drop of a hat. Even so I'm going to venture to show off the latest developments in my lengthy 2 Pi Tower project.

As previously mentioned, I decided to try something different and more challenging this time around: make two-toned outer front baffles using MDF veneered with white ash, surrounded by a frame of solid cherry.

The outer baffles (I like double thickness [i.e., 3/4" x 2] front baffles; the inner front baffles are MDF) are now largely done. Basically I

* cut two pieces of MDF that were 2" shorter along each dimension than the full baffles and veneered them;

* ripped eight 1" strips of cherry and cut them to 45 degree angles at the ends (I discovered I'm dyslexic);

* attached the strips to the edges of the veneered panels with biscuits and glue, clamped, wiped off squeeze out (not fast enough), let sit overnight;

* sanded down the strips (which were about 1/16" thicker than the thickness of panel -- no planer here);

* because I built the panels just a fraction oversized, clamped the panels to the boxes, trimmed the panels with a router, then marked biscuit joints (for later use);

* marked and cut with a Jasper Jig the driver and vent holes (which line up perfectly, I'm happy to say, with the holes cut in the inner baffles).

Plenty of mistakes, but pretty good for a first effort, if I do say so myself. A good learning experience, and the second baffle went a lot easier than the first. The baffles will be rounded over, then attached to the cabinets, then the cabinets need to be finished.

If my attempt to post a picture doesn't work, pictures may be found at the link. Luckily, pictures hide most of the flaws!

I like the two-tone look and will probably do it again (in some other combination -- dark with a light frame?), notwithstanding the extra work. I was really just winging it in terms of the steps I used. If anyone knows of other techniques that make this simpler, I'd love to hear them!

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: White Ash Finishing Suggestions Wanted
Next Topic: How long before I can lick my cabinet?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 13:19:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio