Home » Audio » Home Theater » HT update
HT update [message #28543] Sat, 15 April 2006 20:17 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I found a switch so I can use the Altec Valencias as the front speakers in my little HT setup and switch them back to the 2 channel rig. The Altecs really make any music dvds I play come alive. I think one reason may be that when you attend a concert you usually hear the sound from the same type of speakers as the 846's.

Re: HT update [message #28544 is a reply to message #28543] Mon, 17 April 2006 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know what you mean. Nothing better than a good high-efficiency loudspeaker system and quality amplification!

Every time I go to someone's house and hear 5.1 mini-satelites, it sounds like I'm listening to a bunch of clock radios placed around the room. Terrible! Add to that the ghetto-car-trunk-buzz subwoofer and it only makes things worse. I politely say nothing but always wish they would just turn off the 5.1 system and listen to the little oval speakers built-in to the TV set. Wouldn't be any worse.

Music or movies, either way, the sound system must be complete with proper high-quality speakers!

Re: HT update [message #28553 is a reply to message #28544] Mon, 10 July 2006 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mollecon is currently offline  mollecon
Master
We moved a while ago, and I sorta 'confiscated' the old surround equipment for my own room. So we got a nice new 32" Thomson TV for the living room. Due to budget circumstances, we got a cheap little Sony surround system as a sort of emergency solution. And yes, the speakers ARE pathetic. Five 2½" units for satelites, 6½" reflexed for sub.

But the ampsection in the integrated surround receiver/DVD is S-Master. So it can easily drive better speakers. I plan to build a TV-table with integrated center and sub - and over time get better speakers for at least the front L/F.

Re: HT update [message #28554 is a reply to message #28553] Tue, 11 July 2006 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a good plan. What are you thinking of getting?

Re: HT update [message #28555 is a reply to message #28554] Tue, 11 July 2006 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Not quite sure. For the TV-table/center/sub combination, Peerless have a new ringradiator tweeter with neo-magnet. I plan on using two 5" units, too, might also end up with Peerless. And Peerless probably will have to do the subwoofer job also. They have a nice 10", that would suit the expected volume of the box nicely. Working on a budget, these units seem to offer a nice price/quality relation. Peerless also have good XXLS 12" units that would fit, but they cost 3½ times more, and I really don't need that kind of sound pressure - living in a flat, with a modest size room.

There's also a Peerless/Vifa based kit, I might use that for front sides - it has a 6½" Peerless and the Vifa DX dome (I think it's the same used in the Pi2's). Only thing is, the DX has to reasonably match the Peerless ring radiator in sound - I want a front that's homogenous. But the larger 6½" unit would be nice, when playing music in direct or 2.1 mode.

Re: HT update [message #28556 is a reply to message #28555] Wed, 12 July 2006 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oooh, sounds nice!

Re: HT update [message #28557 is a reply to message #28556] Thu, 13 July 2006 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Well, that's yet to be proven

Re: HT update [message #28576 is a reply to message #28557] Sat, 05 August 2006 20:20 Go to previous message
matefork is currently offline  matefork
Viscount
Why not not just buy a complete unit to avoid confusion? The things I'm hearing are complex and that to me doesn't sound too good.

Previous Topic: Pioneer VSX 26TX
Next Topic: Remote compatibility Onkyo & Pioneer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 16:18:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout