Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Bass speakers
Bass speakers [message #27934] Fri, 03 September 2004 14:03 Go to next message
Michael R is currently offline  Michael R
Esquire
I am a bass player and I play both electric and acoustic bass, with and without a bow. I am looking for a speaker that isn't the usual bass cab but can be versatile. It needs to be powerful but more importantly, it needs to be clean. Suggestions anyone?

Cheers!
Michael

Re: Bass speakers [message #27935 is a reply to message #27934] Sun, 05 September 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Jordan is currently offline  Kevin Jordan
Chancellor
Myself, I'd use a vintage alnico 15 incher in a box of ample size. Woofers with cake
magnets don't sound as good unless they have copper in the pole piece, then they're
good too, some say better. Put your money in a good woofer, that's the most important
thing for clean, tight bass. The cabinet is important too, but it all starts with
the woofer.
You might write to Bill Fitzmaurice, he seems very knowledgable and probably has plans
for a bass rig, maybe a DR15. You'll find him here and at www.billfitzmaurice.com.
Rgs,
Kevin

Re: Bass speakers [message #27936 is a reply to message #27935] Mon, 06 September 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Actually, while I do have a DR15 box on my site, because of its large size I don't recommend it unless it's for retrofit with an existing driver. I prefer smaller drivers with horns, and my personal rig is a DR250a, with the addition of a Tuba 24 sub for very large rooms- 300 seats or larger. Both are loaded with tens.

Re: Bass speakers [message #27939 is a reply to message #27936] Mon, 06 September 2004 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
What kind of a ten do you use? Where do you get good ones for high power low distortion bass?

Re: Bass speakers [message #27942 is a reply to message #27939] Tue, 07 September 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
For high power (over 100 watts) low frequency (below 80 Hz)I'm using the new Eminence HL10a. In the same box with 200 watts input it gives me an additional 7dB output at 40 Hz compared to a Beta 10, due to the elimination of power compression. I find that the Beta 10 works fine with up to 100 watts in, but beyond that the higher Bl of the HL10a allows much improved cone control, especially with high throat impedances. The high xMax of the HL10a also makes bottoming out a non-issue. However, with 100 watts or less input the Beta ten is more sensitive, so which to use is definetely a matter of intended usage. Since there's a $100 price differential it's an important consideration.

Re: Bass speakers [message #27943 is a reply to message #27942] Tue, 07 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The HL10A is made for horns so it can handle the pressure. No offense, but I don't
think the Beta 10 would be any good at all. No power handling and a thin cone that can
rip real easy, so it easy to burn and rip. I think its good for a full range monitor speaker
but not for a bass horn, IMHO.

Can your horns use TAD 1102, Adire Brahma 10 or even a Dayton Titanic MK3?
They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Use the HL10A for budget models.

Re: Bass speakers [message #27944 is a reply to message #27935] Tue, 07 September 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
What do you think about a horn loaded D130 or maybe a 2205A.

Thanks!
Michael

Re: Bass speakers [message #27945 is a reply to message #27936] Tue, 07 September 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I will look at your site.

Thanks!
Michael

Re: Bass speakers [message #27948 is a reply to message #27943] Tue, 07 September 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The Beta 10 won't handle extreme pressures, but up to 100 watts or above 80 Hz it's perfectly comfortable; I've been using them in horns for years with no ill effect. I've had no problem with them structurally up to 200 watts below 80 Hz, but by then the power compression causes so much throat distortion that you're not going to put that much power into it for very long.

As long as the specs are OK you could certainly use premium drivers in my boxes. I don't personally anymore, as I've found mid priced drivers to be adequate, and saving money on drivers is one of the nice aspects of horns versus direct radiators.

The Titanic III (it is an Eminence OEM for Parts Express)is actually very similar to the HL10a, but with its lower Fs and higher Qts it isn't as well suited to horn loading.

Re: Bass speakers [message #27954 is a reply to message #27948] Wed, 08 September 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Thanks for your comments.

Some things don't merit premium components but some do. I'll bet your horns with premium
components sound great. Michael's electric and acoustic bass might be best with them but
maybe the cheaper parts work as good in some cases.

Rgs,
Kevin

P.S. Are you sure the Titanic MkII was made by Eminence? I was told that they were still
working on a subwoofer like this. The Titanic has copper in the pole piece. Compare its
specs with the LAB12:
LAB12 Qts=.39 Fts=22
Titanic Qts=.38 Fts=28

Previous Topic: Adire Tempest horn sub
Next Topic: Bill Fitzmaurice - Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 01 21:20:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio