Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Blown Amp in JBL EON 15"?
Blown Amp in JBL EON 15"? [message #27788] Mon, 25 December 2006 08:19 Go to next message
dlvr247 is currently offline  dlvr247
Esquire
I've been the proud owner of 2 1st generation powered (bi amped) JBL Eon 15" monitors and they've endured enough to where I shouldn't question their longetivity but because I left them in a friends motorhome and it took some time and severe heming and hawing to get them back, I have to wonder...cuz they both sounded horrible when I finally plugged 'em in. Easy to realize that only the woofer was bumping, so the horns were gone. What bothers me is that both horns/amps would go out at exactly the same time, though I think my boy tried to bump the volume to insane levels by hitting the gain reserved for vocals and thus blew em at the same time. With what little I know about electronics, I took one apart and tried a mediocre bench test by hooking the pos/neg wires to a working speaker. I figured if the speaker worked, replace the horn, speaker don't work, one of the amps is shot and it's gonna cost a handsome Lincoln to fix'em. No sound;( Has this happened to anyone else? Is my bench test enough to convince you it's the amp.A lot of circuit boards inside look easy enough to replace if I could figure out which one to replace. An help appreciated.

Re: Blown Amp in JBL EON 15"? [message #27789 is a reply to message #27788] Sat, 30 December 2006 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wonder if you'd have any luck getting parts on eBay. Might be worth watching eBay to see if a parts mule turns up.

Re: Blown Amp in JBL EON 15"? [message #27800 is a reply to message #27788] Wed, 18 April 2007 15:31 Go to previous message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
Only rumor, but I heard that JBL used LM3886's (or similar) to power the horn. It looks like a T0-220 package, but wide, with 11 leads.
Its going to be hooked to a big heat sink. They are well protected internally, so maybe check for fuses to it.
Chris

Previous Topic: Marshall vs 65 has barely no sound even with new tube
Next Topic: DDX3216 ANYONE?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 11 09:12:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers