Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Question about output on guitar amp please help
Question about output on guitar amp please help [message #27571] Sun, 20 April 2008 22:53 Go to next message
Jeff is currently offline  Jeff
Chancellor
I have a Carvin X100b head playing through a half stack. I've been trying to get into some recording. On the back of the head there is a "preamp output". It is has an XLR connection. Can I plug this XLR cable into my computer for recording or what is this output suppose to be used for. I can't find an solid answer anywhere on the web. Thanks

XLR to RCA or 1/4" or 1/8" plug (balanced to unbalanced) [message #27572 is a reply to message #27571] Mon, 21 April 2008 12:21 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The XLR connector is a balanced preamp output. Some amps accept balanced inputs, but some only accept unbalanced inputs. Most are that way, to tell the truth. Your sound card probably has RCA and/or 1/8" jacks for input, both of which are unbalanced. To make a cable between them, connect the XLR pin 1 to the outside sleeve of the RCA or 1/8" input and connect XLR pin 2 to the center pin on the RCA or 1/8" input.

Previous Topic: Comp driver diaphragm material
Next Topic: DIY?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 14:33:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout