Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Rare Fender Solid State Twin Reverb (1966-71)
Rare Fender Solid State Twin Reverb (1966-71) [message #27135] Thu, 08 September 2005 11:33 Go to next message
Omar is currently offline  Omar
Esquire

Just got one of these for really cheap (couple hundred). It's a 100W 2 x 12" twin reverb with a vibrato channel. Very weird-looking: vertical (as opposed to customary side-by-side, horizontal layout), odd silverface-ish plate with "Solid State" in red letters, no master volume (instead it has settings for "pop," "normal," and "C&W") or gain, just treble and bass. It's loud and has the typically dry, none-too-exciting tone associated with solid state amps, but man, I can't get over how strange this amp looks.

I have never heard anyone talk about this series amp at all. Fender seems to have disowned it completely, as it is not in their archives at all! Anyone have any information about it? Manuals? Other owners of this amp? Anyone?

Re: Rare Fender Solid State Twin Reverb (1966-71) [message #27136 is a reply to message #27135] Fri, 09 September 2005 12:46 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Common "guitar books" I own do not metion it (Pittman, Weber, O`Connor, Dave Funk), but there`s a chapter "Transistor Dinosaurs" in the "Amps!" book by Ritchie Flieger. Some citations, page 72:

"...Because transistors were new and unknown, there was lots of trial and error in early circuit designs.
...Fender`s first shot at solid-state amps was a disaster the likes of which would have killed a lesser company. Fender`s new CBS ownership twice released a complete series of SS amps; some shared the same names as their tube brothers.
...These amps were so poorly made and sounded so bad, they were gone before most players had a chance to say yecch!
...Solid state Twin reverb - I really don`t know what to say about this amp. I still can`t believe someone would do this...(picture)"

But, don`t worry - if you play some kind of "alternative" rock, this amp is "cool" looking and probably sounds weird enough!

Previous Topic: Polypropylene Caps Panasonic vs. Sprague Orange Drops
Next Topic: Problem with Marshall DSL401
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 01:37:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout