Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Need help fixing HRDx
Need help fixing HRDx [message #27050] Tue, 17 May 2005 07:28 Go to previous message
maxheadroom is currently offline  maxheadroom
Esquire
At practice, the amp just starting crackling and distorting. I fixed the crackle, but now my BIG CLEAN is gone. Here's how I fixed the crackle:

I determined it was not the tubes, substituting known good tubes.

I plugged straight into the "power in" and determined the problem was in the power amp.

I replaced the plate load at R57 (82K), which is known to come open on Hot Rods, and R58 (100K) as per instructions at the "unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe" website. While I was at it, I went ahead and replaced the 470ohm screen resistors with 1K 3watters to 'improve reliability'. Everything else looked fine. I checked all my solder joints for continuity. No problems that I could see.

The amp works now but breaks up with single coils as early as 1.5 on the clean volume. That big, clean 9th chord "gank!" sound is gone. I checked it at various bias levels, it doesn't have the random channel switching problem some HRDs have, and it still goes fairly loud. But something is definitely wrong.

Thanks.

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Help with amp problem please
Next Topic: Channel jumping inputs fender to Matchless
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 25 02:09:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio