Home » Audio » General » GPAF
GPAF [message #2667] Tue, 17 January 2006 13:44 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So; How's the Food?

Re: GPAF [message #2668 is a reply to message #2667] Wed, 18 January 2006 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good, but not as good as the audio:)

Re: GPAF [message #2669 is a reply to message #2668] Wed, 18 January 2006 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I take that as a recommendation. What; a lot of Texano and tex-mex? Steak?

Re: GPAF [message #2670 is a reply to message #2669] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Last time, a bunch of us went to the Silver Flame on Saturday night. It's awesome!

Silver Flame Steakhouse

Re: GPAF [message #2671 is a reply to message #2670] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Looks good; certainly cheap enough. How's the steaks?
I notice they have Orange Roughy on the menu. Funny but for many years they had a hard time selling that fish by it's original name even though it's a nice white flesh fish. It wasn't till they changed the name from Slimehead to Orange Roughy that they could sell it.

Re: GPAF [message #2672 is a reply to message #2671] Wed, 18 January 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Their steaks are awesome, really.

Re: GPAF [message #2676 is a reply to message #2671] Thu, 19 January 2006 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Ditto for "Chilean Sea Bass". It's a more appealing name than "Patagonian Toothfish".

Actually Tulsa is a very nice town. There are a couple of universities, and mid size cities that have colleges are more fun than those that don't. Before my first visit to Tulsa I imagined it as a town where they rolled up the sidewalks at 8:00PM. My employer, Amoco Corporation, had a large research facility there, and in the mid 1990's, when I became Human Resources manager for the company's technology and research functions, I found myself working in Tulsa at least one day a week, and I really liked it. It seemed to combine the amenities of a mid size city with the friendliness of a small town.

So the food is good, the town is good, the people are nice, and the audio is great. What's not to like?

Re: GPAF [message #2677 is a reply to message #2676] Thu, 19 January 2006 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes I agree; university towns are usually nice amiable places. I knew that about the Chilean Sea Bass. They are becoming scarce and expensive around here. The Orange Roughy used to be a bait fish over in New Zealand but as the fishing stocks dwindle they are eating more of them.
Very good explanation and definately makes the city sound enticing. Wayne should use your description to promote the Fest.
As far as the fish story I was only busting his chops a little; I eat anything.
So; you'll be there?

Re: GPAF [message #2678 is a reply to message #2677] Thu, 19 January 2006 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, most of the other exhibitors were showing the products they sell, but the Tulsa Audio Club and I each rented a suite and set up a system just for fun. This year I'll be hosting a room where people can bring their favorite components, set them into the system, and let others enjoy the sound. Some other members of the Dallas Audio Club will be joining me for the weekend. It's especially enjoyable for people like me who are there just to have fun and not selling anything; a mini vacation, and I get to take my audio equipment with me.

Re: GPAF [message #2679 is a reply to message #2678] Thu, 19 January 2006 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Sounds good. The last show I went to the reigning musical icons were Amanda McBroom and Rickie Lee Jones. I swore after that episode of the inquisition that I would never subject myself to such torture again. Endless repitition of the most horrendous howling imaginable.

Sounded like cats fighting. Then the Blues became popular but it ended up being white guys growling and torturing their rare and expensive Vintage Tele's and Strats.
Not a Muddy Waters or Little Walter in sight.
For Jazz we had Pet Metheny; the Henry Mancini of the pop jazz repretoir.
Try putting Sun Ra on and people wrinkled their noses.

Previous Topic: unknown power and output transformers
Next Topic: A cheap DVD player
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 03:34:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout