Home » Audio » General » Pioneer Receiver
Pioneer Receiver [message #26533] Sun, 18 June 2006 10:19 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The local Goodwill had a Pioneer sx-780 on the shelf for $6. It was missing one knob, but otherwise powered up and was in good shape. Almost bought it just for the knobs. I may swing by and get it yet. Any other useful parts in these units?

Re: Pioneer Receiver [message #26534 is a reply to message #26533] Mon, 19 June 2006 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would grab that; they sell for pretty good money on ebay and they sound good; look good too.

Re: Pioneer Receiver [message #26535 is a reply to message #26533] Mon, 19 June 2006 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What a deal! Can't beat that!

Re: Pioneer Receiver [message #26536 is a reply to message #26533] Mon, 19 June 2006 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Did you check to see if it plays?

Re: Pioneer Receiver [message #26537 is a reply to message #26536] Mon, 19 June 2006 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
There wasn't any way to really check it there. No speakers or whatnot to hook it to. It did power up and that's it. Like I said, I may just pick it up for the knobs if nothing else. Have to swing by on my lunch hour and see if it's still there.

Re: Pioneer Receiver [message #26538 is a reply to message #26537] Mon, 19 June 2006 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I bet it works.

Dang! Shoulda got it Sat. [message #26539 is a reply to message #26533] Mon, 19 June 2006 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Stopped by on my lunch real quick and it was gone. Well, somebody got a good deal. I was gonna take my Carver Receiver I use in the garage and put it to use as a phono stage for the turntable of my Aunts, then put the Pioneer in the garage. Guess I'll need to look at a phono stage now, cuz I ain't pulling tunes out of my garage.

Re: Dang! Shoulda got it Sat. [message #26540 is a reply to message #26539] Mon, 19 June 2006 19:03 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have an older model DIY phono stage that works on Batteries. It uses two NE 5534 signetics op-amp and a couple caps and resistors. It sounds about as good as a basic 200$ stage you might buy in a store. It ran me about 40$ to build. One thing is the two op-amps can be improved for a very cost effective upgrade and by using the battery power it has absolutely no hum whatsoever. It has a standard cart load and input resistance. With the new op-amps and the batteries i would say that brings it up quite a bit in quality. If you are interested in trying a cheap but good amp I can send photos of the circuit that would make it about as simple a project as you could build. If you upgraded the caps in the power supply and the RIAA circuit it just might break the audiophile barrier. I have used it off and on for about fifteen yrs so it has good reliability.
It was designed by an engineer that used to work for Harmon Kardon when they were a private company. I got the circuit as a member of the old Audio Society.
Hagtech has a similar design for sale but I think it runs closer to a hundred bucks. And that needs a power supply I believe.

Previous Topic: Amorphous Metals
Next Topic: WSOTT on for 7/15 - Colin?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 03:15:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout