Home » Audio » General » Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010
Re: Archie difital files on a hard drive [message #26182 is a reply to message #26181] Fri, 03 September 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
Not at all. I think mods do sound good. I am not sure about coupling caps, but hey, it can;t hurt i guess.
The kit amp i am talking about is the k503 from s5electronics & from antique electronic supply. The htread at:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/Tubes/messages/51.html
has more info on it.
My home brewed speakers:
http://www.audioroundtable.com/SingleDriverSpeakers/messages/520.html
has more info on them.
I DO have a tweeter on them. Without it, in fact, they don;t sound very good at all to me. The step filter I have on (contouring, BSC whatever we want to call it is fine with me) is really subtle, and only makes a small difference. It actually controls the peaky midrange as much as it adds an illusion of bass.

I agree, I am not selling my tube amps anytime soon! My spekaers all sound good with a tube amp. The reason I biught the yamaha (not yet arrived by the way but should be in the next couple of weeks) was to test a solid state amp and see if there was a difference.
I'll post any differences I hear on here. It will be interesting to see how speakers voiced for SETs sound with top of the line SS from 25 years ago!
:-) I am rambling too...but hey...in this hobby, wo else will understand our rambles but a fellow hobbyist?
-akhilesh

Re: Archie difital files on a hard drive [message #26183 is a reply to message #26182] Fri, 03 September 2004 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Now I got you. We have our AES mixed up, Audio Electronic Supply/Antique Electronic Supply, that explains it. I would like to say this little chip amp sounds pretty good, I have been listening to it on the Pi-4's now for 3 days and it has opened up and now sounds rich and full with nice detail and wide soundstage. Not bad for 70$ ehh? And easy to build.
I have the High End version and I am going to wire it up into a nice box this week. It uses Black Gate caps and Riken resistors, we shall see. I have compared it to my Carver TM 35, and so far I kinda like the chip amp a little better.
Any way, keep us posted about the Yamaha, J.R.

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26323 is a reply to message #26161] Fri, 17 June 2005 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BuckNQ is currently offline  BuckNQ
Esquire
I currently own a ca-1010 and a pair of ct-810 tuners. I am a solid state baby, class of '80. I have nothing but respect for tube gear mind you, just not the bank account for it.
I had my eye on an 810 amp and I knew I was headed that way so when an 810 tuner came up cheap on eBay I jumped on it and waited for a suitable amp. I ended up with a 1010 that came with its own 810 tuner. Now I have 2 CT-810's and all of a sudden they're flooding eBay! (But try and catch a 1010 tuner. Pffft!)
As for the amp, whew. Massive. Intimidating.
I've had it hooked up to a slew of speakers.
Klipsch: Heresy (v.1978), Synergy KSF 10.5's, KG 3.5, 3.2, 2.2, 1.2; Spica: sc-50; Realistic: Maximus-20; Tannoy: Mercury m20's and 605's.
The clear winner was the ca-1010. It handled all of them with finesse and grace. Granted it's 90 watts into a selection of bookshelve speakers for the most part. I'd pick the Klipsch KG 3.2's if I had to. They are pigs and they love that power. The CA-1010 drove them without distortion to a volume beyond my limits.
Led Zeppelin and Jeff Beck to Frank Sinatra. Berlin Philharmonic with Peer Gynt Hall of the Mountain King. Surprising performance by the Radio Shack marketed Maximus-20. Possibly the closest sound to the venerable Heresy's. Though I haven't inspected the drivers in the Maximus, I do suspect that this is a Pioneer (Japan) family product from the time of the famed sx-_50/sx-_80 of the late 1970's. Big enough to handle the power and true to the sound of the seventies.
I have a Mac1700 that will never leave my bedroom system unless it's to go to Audio Classics for a tune-up. It powers the Spica sc-50's. I will note here that the Spica's were the only speakers I auditioned on the CA-1010 that noticeably improved with the switch to Class A operation. I would rate the Heresy's as most disappointing in class A mode possibly due to their power hungry construction. My expectations were too high because the 18 watts just didn't cut it for me and the musicians from the Berlin Philharmonic.
The family room has a Harman Kardon AVR525 and matching DVD player with the Klipsch 3.2's front and 2.2v center, 2.2 side surrounds and 1.2 rears plus a pair of SW-10II subwoofers. The whole system is Oak Oil finish and looks spectacular.
My private listening room (study) is permanent home to a Pioneer sx-950 driving a pair of vintage 1978 Klipsch Heresy's in Walnut Oil backed by a pair of Klipsch KG 1.2's in matching Walnut Oil.
To compare the CA-1010 to any other system is very apples/oranges. The Yamaha achieves a unique voice and quality that is it's own.
Overall the CA-1010 is a keeper. The mating of the obviously Japan made Maximus-20's with the 810 tuner and ca-1010 seemed wholly natural. As new permanent members of the garage system they will be replacing an old Harman Kardon HK650 amp and matching tuner. Watch eBay for that deal. Tannoy's too!
until the next hot vintage piece comes along ... Buck

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26324 is a reply to message #26323] Sat, 18 June 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool post, Buck! Looksl iek youhave some good gear!
I agree with you, the vintage stuff sounds darn good!

-akhilesh

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26395 is a reply to message #26161] Sun, 30 October 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fps_dean is currently offline  fps_dean
Esquire
My father bought one new. They were made from '77-79 and I ran around $700 or a little more new.

A few years ago, it died and he replaced it with a Denon. He said I could have it if I got it fixed, but I never had the money and when I do, I just forgot about it, so I gave it to my mother who could use it.

My uncle gave me some Infinity Column II's he paid around $1000 for in the same era. It sounded unbelieable through those speakers. The detail of the amp was very good, as was the tonal balance. I think it without a doubt sounded much better than his new Denon. I forget the model number of the Denon as it would be nice to know what it is being compared to, but when it came out it was supposed to be the same quality as the $1000 models at the time (2002 or so).

Good amp! And you can get them for $150 today.

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26396 is a reply to message #26323] Sun, 30 October 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fps_dean is currently offline  fps_dean
Esquire
I can buy a Mac 1700 for $350, working order... is it worth it?

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26445 is a reply to message #26162] Fri, 27 January 2006 15:58 Go to previous message
Scott is currently offline  Scott
Chancellor
I HAVE A CA-1010 (YAMAHA) AND IT WONT POWER UP? MABY A FUSE? I CANT FIND IT THOUGH! ANY IDEAS????

Previous Topic: MarantzCD 5001
Next Topic: GPAF Info
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 03:29:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout