Home » Audio » General » How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi
How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26278] Thu, 21 April 2005 04:15 Go to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just use your credit card - one stop shopping

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26279 is a reply to message #26278] Thu, 21 April 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's incredible. It's like selling an audio equipment museum. I wonder why they are all sold together instead of individually. Seems like the sale would go better if broken out than lumped together.

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26280 is a reply to message #26278] Thu, 21 April 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I agree with Wayne. It would be far easier for those with normal means to afford to bid if they were broken into seperate auctions. Why do I care? I wouldn't bid anyway. I'm in the 19.95 league I have a couple of old beatup Altecs I dearly love. It would be nice to fall into a couple of cabinets in good shape.

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26281 is a reply to message #26279] Thu, 21 April 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Someone probably died and the estate just wants to liquidate. The fate that awaits us all and our painstakingly acquired collections of music and equipment.
I think the market is turning at this time; peaked.

No amps - no problem [message #26283 is a reply to message #26278] Thu, 21 April 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think I need to raise my CC limit......Colin

Re: No amps - no problem [message #26284 is a reply to message #26283] Thu, 21 April 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Incredible! A whole warehouse of vintage gear.

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26285 is a reply to message #26278] Sat, 23 April 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
No thanks. The JBL Olympus have been sold for 2K or less. The other mono speakers are only good if you have a matching one to make a pair. Then again some folks claim to enjoy mono so who knows? JBL Hartsfield pairs have sold for less than that price of 13.5K. John C.

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26289 is a reply to message #26281] Thu, 28 April 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I don't think it's peaked quite yet. I wish it had though. Check out the crazy prices on E-pay. They affect prices on Craigslist and out in the other local marketplaces. I've seen countless references to the "bay" in want ads in the paper and on the net. They almost always cite prices things sold for there. There seems to be a flock of new buyers who want things regardless of price on the bay. Check out the going prices on the big receivers from the big 4. Also any component setup that's fairly hard to find brings a premium. There is a guy in Portland who thinks because a primo set of Altec 604's & dividing networks went for big money on E-bay his lone, beatup 604 with the rusty frame and leaking crossover can is worth 400.00.

Re: How to become a sophisticated collector of vintage Hi-Fi [message #26290 is a reply to message #26289] Sat, 30 April 2005 10:07 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah but you have to see if he sells at that price. People can ask anything they want but it don't matter if no one buys. For about two years starting in 2000 there seemed to be a feeding frenzy on the bay for all things old and tube. I noticed old Scott integrateds going for 500$. Not so anymore and I have also witnessed lots of old tube sellers liquidating their stock. Look on VTV's site. They have some re-stored old tube stuff lingering for years on their for sale ads.
People get the idea something is worth a price so they refuse to sell for less even if it never sells. Things are only worth what people are willing to pay.
Lots of the older vintage stuff that used to go quickly on Audiogon is coming up for repeated listings at lower prices. Funny but guys will pay good money for kits that soundwise do not even come close to those old amps from Fisher and Scott and Citation. Nowadays you cannot come close to the quality of the transformers used in that stuff; and the designers like Stu Hegeman are some of the best there ever was.

Previous Topic: Photos from Montreal Son&Image
Next Topic: Two Wild and Crazy Guys!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 05:15:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout