Home » Audio » General » hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers
Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26260 is a reply to message #26104] Mon, 14 March 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter McCabe is currently offline  Peter McCabe
Esquire
If the speakers were the newer MA4 mk2 then they used the audax (black) units. if they were the original MA4 they used the Isophon tweeters (the better speaker in my opinion). If you remember them as being yellow (square face plate) they were definitely Isophon of Germany, good luck finding them.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26266 is a reply to message #26260] Wed, 23 March 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alan Watkins is currently offline  Alan Watkins
Esquire
Many thanks for that. Yes they are the square 'yellow' ones. I have one good one & I am searching for a match. I have replaced the units with some scanspeak units I had - They are sort of jammed into the holes in a very unprofessional way:)

but they do sound fine. If anyone has an audax unit for sale - Please contact me

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26282 is a reply to message #26260] Thu, 21 April 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wahee is currently offline  wahee
Esquire
just an update. I got a set of KK10 tweeters from ebay in the states. They fit perfectly and sound well. So they can still be got but they are hard to come by.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26286 is a reply to message #26282] Mon, 25 April 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter McCabe is currently offline  Peter McCabe
Esquire
Kudos on finding the Isophon KK10s as they should be a good match for the Monitor Audio units. At the time, Monitor audio claimed that they used Isophon tweeters modified with there own proprietary "central and surround damping". That is why they were that distinctive yellow color. I'm not sure what they did but what a clear and sweet tweeter it was. The stock Isophon tweeters can be identified as being 'white' in color... they used their own white damping plug in the dome.
These should be a close enough match if you can't find the exact Monitor Audio units.

How do I know so much?... I went through the same thing about 25 years ago when I took out a tweeter on my MA4s.
By the way, those vintage Monitor Audio MA4s are definite sleepers, up there with other classic English designs such as Spendor BC1, LS3/5A, Kef, IMF etc. I know as I've compared them. I do regret parting with mine.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26358 is a reply to message #26098] Tue, 19 July 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justian de Frias is currently offline  Justian de Frias
Esquire
kk

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26531 is a reply to message #26134] Wed, 14 June 2006 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MIKE SHAW is currently offline  MIKE SHAW
Esquire
The tweeters used in the Mk 1 MA 4's were 25m.m. soft dome units made by
the French company Isophon.
The Mk.2 MA 4's used Son Audax units and didn't sound as good.
Hope this helps.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26532 is a reply to message #26134] Wed, 14 June 2006 13:05 Go to previous message
MIKE SHAW is currently offline  MIKE SHAW
Esquire
The tweeters used in the Mk 1 MA 4's were 25m.m. soft dome units made by
the French company Isophon.
The Mk.2 MA 4's used Son Audax units and didn't sound as good.
Hope this helps.

Previous Topic: speakers
Next Topic: LoneStarAudiofest.com
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 18:26:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers