Home » Audio » General » Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010
Re: Archie difital files on a hard drive [message #26181 is a reply to message #26180] Fri, 03 September 2004 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good reply. I did not mean to suggest that mods are of no value but re-reading my own post I see I may have done that. I really mean't to express the thought that mods are not always beneficial especially with vintage gear. I always replace vintage electrolytics only because you have too since they dry out. I like carbon-comp resistors but lots of others don't and I understand why, they are soft and lacking detail. I think of all the mods to vintage gear replacing connections and coupling caps does the most good.
Some of the recent mods I have done is to replace the rectifier diodes in the AES pre-amp with Hex-Freds. That helped as I stated in the post on the tubes forum. I have replaced the entire power supply in my Dyna 70 and it sounds better.
I am familiar with that group you mention concerning Tuners. I have a Sherwood tube tuner and I noticed they thought highly of that model. I called them on the phone to discuss mods and they told me not to touch it as long as it worked and sounded good.
I have the AES pre-amp but I don't recall they made a 6bm8 based amp, which one is that?
How you like that Yamaha and which speakers sound good with it. I know you have the Single Driver Fosteks and the Klipschorns. I respect your opinion thats why I ask, so isn't the point of both of these speakers to refuse brute power, but to sound good with low power well controlled tubes, triode
SE in fact. Wasn't the Klipschorn voiced with a Brook SE amp?
I have a question that I have spent some time considering, when you put passive baffle step correction or frequency contour circuits in line with Single Drivers why not just bite the bullet and add a tweeter? What would be the gain in using one driver if you have to use a xover after all? I know about the point source thing but if you listen from 10 feet away whats the difference? I am rambling I see, thanks AK for any reply you have,J.R.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message