Home » Audio » General » Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010
Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26161] Mon, 30 August 2004 14:55 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Hi everyone,
I heard that SS amps from the 19070-s rfom yamaha, kenwood, pioneer, etc. were very good. Anyone have any experience here with a yamaha ca-1010, ca-1000 or ca-800? I wold love to hear your comparisons.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26162 is a reply to message #26161] Mon, 30 August 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi AK; I had a Yamaha 840, I gave it to my brother in-law but it is still around. He uses it at work for background music. It has never given him any trouble and he has had it now for 12 yrs. Very pretty design. I still hear it ocassionally when I visit him at work.
Is there something about it you need to know?
He has an old pair of EPI speaks he uses with it. The brushed aluminum face is beautiful. Plenty of power and features.

Re: Anyone have experience wth the Yamaha ca-1010 [message #26163 is a reply to message #26161] Mon, 30 August 2004 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Akhilesh,

I had a 50 watt Yamaha receiver from 1978 and an 80 watter in 1980, both of which were excellent.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne & John [message #26165 is a reply to message #26161] Tue, 31 August 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
In a moment of weakness, I bought a yamaha ca-1010. I should receive it soon. I have no idea what prompted me to buy it, except a desire to listen to top-end solid state and see what it sounds like compared to SETs.
These amps were made in the late 1970's (retailed for around $700 then). Someone mentione to me they have great independent power supplies (true monoblocks) and sound as good as most high end solid state today. It has a "class A" selector that allows 18 watts per channel. A/B is 90 watts per channel. I thought I'd try it with my different (high eff.) speakers to see how it sounds compared to my SETs. I'll try to increase the Q of my homebrewed setup to see how it sounds with SS.
Will post results once I get the amp (assuming it works, of course)
:-)
-akhilesh

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26166 is a reply to message #26165] Tue, 31 August 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Weren't you the guy who said"No more Amps!"? I have finished my chip amp have you heard one yet?

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26167 is a reply to message #26166] Tue, 31 August 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
Yeah i did say that! Guilty as charged, sir! The only chip amps I heard have been in othersystems. Never on my speakers.
I am looking forward to getting this one, and trying it out on my speakers. I expect to hear more bass control, but I am curious to see if they are as transparent.
-akhilesh

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26168 is a reply to message #26167] Tue, 31 August 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Akhilesh,

Let me know when you get your amp - I'd like to see it. I'm curious if it is like the models I owned. They were very good.

Hey, are you still thinking about getting a turntable? I have a lot more albums than I do CD's. I only rarely buy CD's that I already have on vinyl, and many can't be purchased. I tend to buy new material on CD instead of buying something I already have. But not always, sometimes I buy the same CD I have on vinyl. Anyway, are you still thinking about getting a turntable?

Wayne

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26169 is a reply to message #26168] Wed, 01 September 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Wayne,
Actually, i managed to successfully fend that temptation off. I wold love to hear your turntable though, to see if the LP medium is indeed better than the CD medium, given current CD players.
Will elt you know once the amp comes in.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26170 is a reply to message #26169] Wed, 01 September 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oops, sorry - Didn't mean to tempt you with more gadgets.

I think that turntables and CD players are like most other machines and technologies - There are good implementations and there are average ones. The thing that is most relevant to me is that I have so much source material in vinyl. Some of it is not available on any media, so the only way to play it is with a turntable. You'd be surprised how many recordings are no longer available, so maintaining quality copies on vinyl and tape becomes a matter of archival preservation.

Re: Thanks Wayne & John [message #26171 is a reply to message #26170] Wed, 01 September 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Wayne, What happened to your Rega 2? You know my buddy has been processing all his LP's into CD for archiving, then he is getting out of LP. Sometimes it seems like a good idea because the system he set-up makes darn good copies. J.R.

Previous Topic: MarantzCD 5001
Next Topic: GPAF Info
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 28 20:24:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout