Home » Audio » General » marantz 2325
marantz 2325 [message #26135] Tue, 29 June 2004 10:33 Go to next message
joe nallie is currently offline  joe nallie
Esquire
Need a big favor from one of your knowledgeable a/v experts.

I have an old Marantz 2325 Receiver (30 years old) and seven a/v devices to run thru it. cd-r, vcr, video disc, phono, dvd, dig cable box and tv. I'm determined to use the 2325 because it sounds so good and clean.

I need assistance in connecting it all together with the objectives:
1. running all audio thru receiver
2. recording from video disc to VCR
3. recording from cable tv to VCR
4. recording phono to CD-R

The 2325 receiver has stereo inputs: phono, aux, Tape 1, Tape 2. It has stereo outputs @ tape 1&2. There are no Video input/outputs. Tape outputs also carry the phono and aux audio output.

The Video disc has in/out coax only.

VCR has in/out coax and stereo input/output and video in/out

The phono has audio output only.

The DVD has stereo and video inputs/outputs.

The CD burner has stereo inputs/outputs.

The Cable box has stereo inputs/outputs and video in/out and of course, coax in/outs.

The TV has 3 inputs: Audio(mono), video and coax. No outputs.

Whew, it is just blowing my mind..

I do have a 3 way switch box with 3 stereo a/v inputs and one output.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Joe Nallie
141 Norwood
Lumberton TX 77657
800 835 3247

Re: marantz 2325 [message #26136 is a reply to message #26135] Wed, 30 June 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Joe,

If it were me, and I had time, I'd probably build a switcher and mount it inside a nice little cabinet. That would make sure the switcher had all the capabilities I needed. But you can also purchase a preamp/switcher/processor that has multiple inputs. Since you need so many, your choices will be few. But there are some out there that have lots of inputs and switching options like you need.

An example is the Carver CT-17. It has 7 inputs that can be switched, and two additional tape in/out channels. It also has two dedicated A/V circuits, and they include not only audio circuit paths, but also video channels. So you might check eBay for one of those. There's undoubtedly several others, but I have one of those so I knew about it right off hand.

Wayne

Re: marantz 2325 [message #26137 is a reply to message #26135] Wed, 30 June 2004 20:42 Go to previous message
martinleewin is currently offline  martinleewin
Chancellor
Joe,
I overlooked one item in the drawing sent. Your TV has a mono audio input! Do not bridge the L/R audio from the "Y" connector because that would lose stereo separation from the video sources to the Marantz AUX inputs. Either do without the TV's audio or make a bridge (with a small loss in separation) using two 10Kohm resistors from each center conductor. You will not get a true surround type center channel for vocal program material with this old school setup at any rate. When you are ready to step up to a real home theater surround setup look for a surround processor with enough discrete (RCA yellow video + red/white audio) source inputs and coax (composite audio/video)
if available.
Martin W.

Previous Topic: Vacuum Tube Valley Issue #20
Next Topic: New Forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 11:29:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers