Home » Audio » General » hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers
hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26098] Wed, 07 January 2004 09:44 Go to next message
Alan Watkins is currently offline  Alan Watkins
Esquire
these are old speakers,circa 1978. The tweeter is 70mm.
any help appreciated

the bass drivers is a b200 sp1039 kef unit
but i dont know who made the tweeters
thanks
Alan

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26099 is a reply to message #26098] Tue, 20 January 2004 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I did some looking and couldn't find them. 'Spose you might post or E-Mail a photo? Be sure and include any other information you might have, such as physical dimensions. I think I can help you out with that info.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26100 is a reply to message #26099] Wed, 21 January 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
hi thanks for the reply - heres a pic of the tweeters

they are 70mm in diammeter
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/quad303/images/tweeter.jpg

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26101 is a reply to message #26100] Wed, 21 January 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You're saying that the magnet is 70mm diameter, yes? I expect the dome is about 25mm across, yes?

Can you show a photo of the back? Also, what does the tweeter mount on to?

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26102 is a reply to message #26101] Wed, 21 January 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
hi thansk for the reply, yes the dome is 25mm and the magnet 70mm.
heres a pic of the rear of the unit and the 'mounting plate'

theres a 4 digit number, 7810 I think. But it seems to be a serial number rather than a code number,because the other good tweeter has a different number stamped on it.

cheers

alan

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/quad303/images/tweeter2.jpg

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26103 is a reply to message #26102] Wed, 21 January 2004 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What do you think about substituting another 1" dome tweeter for this one? I think I would probably replace both tweeters from both speakers if a stereo pair, but I think you might find this to be an acceptable solution. I'd probably keep the original units if I swapped them out, just in case.

Also, have you checked with local speaker repair shops to see if they could just replace the diaphragm? Is there a local repair shop in your area?

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26104 is a reply to message #26103] Thu, 05 February 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
thanks again for the info. I got a set of Seas SEAS 25TFFc (soft dome)tweeters, which are nice. I dont know if its me but I did prefer the original units. I have since found out that the tweeter is made by Audax, HD13D34 part no.

I have contacted the only place I can find the part listed in Denmark to see if they can ship to me. Im not sure if theres a repair shop in my area, but thats another option for me.

cheers

Alan

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26105 is a reply to message #26104] Thu, 05 February 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like you did your homework. That's good information for the archives, so thanks for the follow-up post.

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26134 is a reply to message #26105] Sat, 19 June 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fred is currently offline  Fred
Esquire
What a joke! I'm looking for exactly the same thing!!!
I have a pair of MA 4 that I bought in '77 and had my grandkids do some finger pokin' while I forgot that the covers were off!!!

Anyway,,, just searching the internet and I come across this; what a godsend... thanks guys (and girls)

Re: hi -anyone know what tweeters were used in the monitor audio MA4 speakers [message #26259 is a reply to message #26105] Mon, 14 March 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Peter McCabe is currently offline  Peter McCabe
Esquire
Tweeter was an Isophon (German) modified with damping material within the dome... giving it it's distinctive yellow colour. I used to own a pair back in the 70's. Believe me MA has not improved much on them (in terms of musical naturalness) since then.

Previous Topic: speakers
Next Topic: LoneStarAudiofest.com
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 18:26:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout