Home » Audio » Radio » Unknown Airline gold metal radio
Unknown Airline gold metal radio [message #25810] Mon, 27 March 2006 15:44 Go to next message
DaBrain is currently offline  DaBrain
Esquire

I came across this Airline tube radio. It's in a gold hammertoned metal case. Built in speaker plays out the bottom. It's about size of a shoe box. AM with 2 knobs in front, some type of wire (power?) on the right and a mounting lug on the rear. Looks to me like an automotive type radio. Can't find any pics or info. Any help would be great to ID this unit.

Re: Unknown Airline gold metal radio [message #25811 is a reply to message #25810] Tue, 28 March 2006 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's cool. It does look like a car radio, I agree. I wonder if Montomery Ward sold add-on radios to be installed under dash in cars. That's really cool, and I hope someone that knows will wade in and comment. Does it work?

Re: Unknown Airline gold metal radio [message #25812 is a reply to message #25811] Tue, 28 March 2006 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DaBrain is currently offline  DaBrain
Esquire

I have no ide on how to test it 12v? or 6v?..etc. I have included another picture of it. there is a stamping similar to the "inspected by 18" stamp which reads TES-28.

Re: Unknown Airline gold metal radio [message #25813 is a reply to message #25812] Tue, 28 March 2006 15:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I am guessing it is designed to work on 12VDC, maybe 6VDC. I would look inside and see where the power wires went. If I could identify something that set a requirement - like knowing that the power line went directly to 12V filaments - then I would feel comfortable knowing what the input voltage was supposed to be. I expect the power line drives a vibrator which then drives a step-up transformer, rectified to produce B+. That's probably what supplies anode voltage for the tubes. But you gotta look and see. If you're not very technical, maybe there's an old-school TV repairman in your area that can help.

Previous Topic: General Electric Stereo Console Phonograph
Next Topic: zenith radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 22:21:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout