Home » Audio » General » Ignition noise
Ignition noise [message #25324] Sat, 14 August 2004 16:18 Go to next message
Carl Lundberg is currently offline  Carl Lundberg
Esquire
Hello.

I have a problem with ignition noise in my system and I've done everything I possibly could. My car is a 1999 Camero. I've added noise filter coils and caps to the deck and amp. I put bigger and bigger ones inline and it doesn't seem to matter. I've even changed amps and decks. No good.

Any ideas appreciated,

Carl

Re: Ignition noise [message #25325 is a reply to message #25324] Sun, 15 August 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
Modern ignition systems are relatively immune to the problems that used to be common; I suspect your deck/amp installation is not properly grounded. I assume that this is not original equipment. Did the car come with a factory system and did it have problems? If the factory system worked OK then the problem lies in your installation. If the factory system also had noise then the fault lies in the vehicle.

Re: Ignition noise [message #25326 is a reply to message #25324] Sun, 15 August 2004 23:30 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I agree with Bill. Connect all grounds directly to the negative terminal on the battery with a large conductor wire. See if that doesn't reduce the noise. If so, remove the direct battery ground connection to each component one at a time until you find the one that causes it. That one has high resistance to ground, causing it to float a little above ground when in operation. You may find this is the case with more than one component, so maybe the best way to handle it is to permanently install large conductor ground straps to the battery for each subsystem component.

Previous Topic: Tweaks That Really Work
Next Topic: re-branded tubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 20 05:32:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout