Home » Audio » Measurement » Radio Shack SPL meter
Radio Shack SPL meter [message #25269] Mon, 14 April 2008 12:48 Go to next message
Audioholic is currently offline  Audioholic
Esquire
I have put my speakers in my room based on ear and where they seem to work best judging that way. I just bought a Radio Shack SPL meter and test CD. My question is, do I just sit where I want to sit and hold the meter and try to find where sound is closest to the same reading for every frequency? It seems to bounce a lot even with just one note. How do you know how to read these things?

Re: Radio Shack SPL meter [message #25270 is a reply to message #25269] Fri, 25 April 2008 15:12 Go to previous message
dave franklin is currently offline  dave franklin
Chancellor
To get a fair amount of good readings you would hold the meter at arms length in front where you sit. 1st you need to get a reference level say at 200Hz or 1000 Hz @ 70db, then you measure all the other tones, get someone to write the level readings for each. Get plot paper and and plot the readings. This plot will give you a good idea of the response of your system. RS also sells a mic stand for the mic so you don't have to hold it.

Previous Topic: What can be measured and what can't?
Next Topic: Soundcard worries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 29 21:30:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout