Home » Audio » General » Now it's starting to get interesting...
Now it's starting to get interesting... [message #2508] Tue, 06 December 2005 21:07 Go to next message
Duke is currently offline  Duke
Grand Master
The third chapter of Earl Gedde's forthcoming book has now been posted online.

This is the chapter on psychoacoustics.

If you missed the first or second chapters, they're there as well.

I've been following........... [message #2509 is a reply to message #2508] Thu, 08 December 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Some of the comments over on AA. I'm curious as to why when people disagree with you they quickly resort to name calling? It makes me wonder why people like Mr. Geddes even bother trying to explain their perspective on things. Some of the dissenters are like me and have no real qualifications to back up our arguements. Maybe the misdirection is because they have a weak position to argue from? It seems to me it's more beneficial for everyone to disagree without becoming disagreeable. At least the replies tend to stay on topic for more than two or three posts. I wonder if there are a few folks besides me who would like to follow the discussion to learn and are turned off quickly when it becomes a persoanl pissing contest?

Re: I've been following........... [message #2510 is a reply to message #2509] Thu, 08 December 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
SInce AA is largely unmoderated, in my opinion most of the posts there are either totally off base, or else done with people with an agenda (which may be commercial or simple name calling).
-akhilesh

Re: I've been following........... [message #2511 is a reply to message #2510] Thu, 08 December 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So far as far as I can see and I have read every chapter; what is there to disagree with? Much of what he has written is common scientific knowledge. I have not witnessed a whole lot of personal opinion in the articles as of yet.

Re: I've been following........... [message #2512 is a reply to message #2511] Thu, 08 December 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Some have taken exception to his use of PHD after his name. Maybe it's jealousy I don't know. The man earned the title so he should be free to use it as he sees fit. Others argue against science it appears. I quit following it after the name calling started. I already have an extensive vocabulary of rude remaks. I was hoping to learn a little more about audio from the discussion.

Re: I've been following........... [message #2513 is a reply to message #2512] Thu, 08 December 2005 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If he holds a PHD why can't he use it?? Thats baffling. If you earn it you deserve it. Maybe there is more to the story.

Re: I've been following........... [message #2514 is a reply to message #2513] Thu, 08 December 2005 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Probably is but I still don't see the need for personal attacks instead of making your point and backing it up with evidence. Since I know very little about audio I don't have much to argue about

Re: I've been following........... [message #2515 is a reply to message #2514] Fri, 09 December 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What do you need to know? You know what you like;..right? Learning the technical stuff is fun but if you listen to music thats all you really need to know. Your ears know what sounds good. Training may help you recognise phenomena but it will never improve your hearing. The ear is not a muscle that can be strengthened through excersize.
Thats my personal opinion. Although I still enjoy the tech stuff.
And I agree concerning personal attacks; I would rather argue politics and attack a party and leave the personal stuff out. But man; these audiophiles; they make political discussion look tame when they disagree.

Re: I've been following........... [message #2516 is a reply to message #2515] Fri, 09 December 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
You are right about the music being the key rather than the specifications. I sometimes think that some of the folks who are really into the scientific angle of things don't really listen to music much. For me it's a way to relax and not think about anything deeper than how good it sounds. I have no quarrel with those that pursue statistics or theory. They help advance the medium sometimes. It's how they enjoy the hobby so let them enjoy it their way. I just wish some of the tolerance for differing views would return to the world. It's not just audio but almost any hobby or activity where you see short tempered intolerant folks dominating things. Life without music....isn't.

Re: I've been following........... [message #2517 is a reply to message #2516] Sat, 10 December 2005 07:39 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good stuff. Personal Insight is a rare commodity in this hobby. They are experts on how things sound; but try and find some insightfull essays about music and they are non-existant.
And god help you if you disagree with a position; then all that civility flies right out the window.
No one wants to admitt that there are no facts; there are only theories in the process of evolving.

People love to promote the notion of civil discourse and reasonable debate...until you disagree with them.
Thats why I like political argument; it's more civil than audio discussions.
Good point; life without music.

Previous Topic: Harper Audio
Next Topic: Next GPAC Meet: Dec 16, 2 pm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 02 05:53:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers