Home » Audio » Speaker » MG 1 power requirements?
MG 1 power requirements? [message #24748] Thu, 11 May 2006 20:31 Go to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
The repair kit is on the way finally. So maybe I can hear them as they should sound. How much power do I need for them so I can have some headroom left for Classical & Jazz? My main amp is a Mac 2505 which is 50 WPC until I get my MC-275 fixed. I was thinking of buying a 150-200 WPC SS amp just for them. Something vintage and inexpensive. Anybody here own a pair or any Maggies? What would be your recommendations? I've had my Valencias longer than my Mac amp so never needed much power as they are pretty efficient.

Re: MG 1 power requirements? [message #24749 is a reply to message #24748] Sat, 13 May 2006 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Their sensitivity is in the mid 80's and power handling is 250 watts. I wouldn't skimp on power 'cause even at 100 watts you're just barely over 100dB.

Re: MG 1 power requirements? [message #24750 is a reply to message #24748] Mon, 15 May 2006 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
As Wayne said, sensitivity is mid 80s, but this is at 4 ohms (if memory serves me.) I think 200wpc (clean power at 4 ohms) should be about right, if you really want to rock out.

I have a pair of MMG-W, and they do just fine on a 35 wpc PP tube amp. No, they are not going to bring the house down, but they sound dead-on for small jazz ensambles and uncluttered classical.....Colin

Re: MG 1 power requirements? [message #24751 is a reply to message #24748] Tue, 16 May 2006 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jpvanson is currently offline  jpvanson
Esquire
I've a pair of MG-Is as well. Great speakers that introduced me to good audio and ultimately spoiled my taste for mediocre speakers.

The MG-I is rated at 82dB/w/m at 5 ohms input. However, the truly magnaplanar design as these are offer up a nearly resistor flat impedance curve so the 5 ohms is easier to drive tham equivalent sensitivity 8ohm speakers. Depending upon the size of your room, you can get by satisfactorily with that 50wpc amp of yours. I used a cheap 45wpc amp for a few months and found the combination very enjoyable. I've run everything from a 15wpc 6BQ5 Fisher SA-16 amp up to ~200wpc solidstate and found them to sound good regardless. However, this is in an ~15'x16' room (technically larger thanks to an L-shaped design).

If you room is a great deal larger then definitely look for a high-current amplifier more than the watts. Maggies respond more to current than other speakers and you will appreciate the results.

Good luck.
- JP

Re: MG 1 power requirements? [message #24752 is a reply to message #24751] Tue, 16 May 2006 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jpvanson is currently offline  jpvanson
Esquire
If I may ... here's the MG-I brochure containing some of the technical specifications if you're interested.

- JP

Re: MG 1 power requirements? [message #24753 is a reply to message #24749] Tue, 16 May 2006 20:36 Go to previous message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Thank you guys for all your input. I was asleep at the wheel and forgot to respond.

I found a Yamaha M-50 @ 120 WPC@ 8 Ohms and supposedly 200 @ 4 )hms so at 5-6 Ohms I should be in there

My room (snicker here ) is my sometimes shop which is 22' X 18'. It's full of stuff and I put a cheap carpet on the floor in front of the speakers and carpet on the wall behind the speakers & gear. It looks a little funky but it knocks down some of the standing waves.

Once again thanks for your input. I got an e-mail saying the kit is on the way so shortly I should hear them as they should sound. I'll order new socks if it turns out well.

Previous Topic: Need advice on cabinet choice for JBL E120
Next Topic: Using Car Speakers With Your Hi Fi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 16:23:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout