Home » Audio » Speaker » Any interest in a diy esl project?
Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24685] Tue, 24 May 2005 18:55 Go to next message
moray james is currently offline  moray james
Baron
Curious to know if there are current esl builders or new want to build members interested in a diy esl project? I have posted at diy audio at diyhifi.org and at the speaker section of gain clone dot com. Check it out and comment. Thanks, look forward to comments and suggestions.

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24686 is a reply to message #24685] Tue, 24 May 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Kinzel is currently offline  Jerry Kinzel
Esquire
Yes, I am planning to build a pair of ESL's. The perforated steel arrived today, purchased an electronic crossover and copper foil on e-bay in last few days. I am planning on making them flat and 1.5 by 5 ft. Have yet to buy step-up transformers, bias supply and mylar. Let me know if you have suggestions for these items. Thanks, Jerry

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24687 is a reply to message #24686] Wed, 25 May 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey Jerry: have a look over at DIYHIFI.org,
http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=300&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
You will find most of the useful info I can provide there. Do you plan to run full range or willyou use subs for the bottom end? I have run 70 volt line transformers backwqrd and obtained excellent results with panels like yours. Very inexpensive too. I you use larger spaceing then you can run two of these transformers to get more step up as well as a centre tap. Regards Moray James.

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24688 is a reply to message #24686] Wed, 25 May 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for the information Moray, greatly appreciated. I plan on using a mechanical woofer, probably crossing over at 400-500 Hz. I am still tempted to try slighlty curved stators, perhaps on the order of 15 degrees. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences? I don't want to kill imaging, but also don't want the "head in vise" either. All thoughts and suggestions welcome. By the way, to make electrical contact with the diaphram, I found 1/4 inch wide, 1 mil. thick copper adhesive backed tape on e-bay under stained glass accessories. Cost was less than $7, including shipping.

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24689 is a reply to message #24687] Wed, 25 May 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Jerry: I would have to pull the transformers out of a box to tell you. I can say that they were very small no name bought at Radio Shack. They were perhaps about 1.25 inches square or so. You don't need to worry about wattage rateing. I remember buying other larger wider bandwidth units that did not sound as good. Snag some cheap ones and give them a try. Regards Moray James.

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24690 is a reply to message #24689] Wed, 25 May 2005 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks, I'll give them a try - not much to risk investment wise! Of course it will be several weeks before I will be in a position to test them! (If I'm lucky - my son will probably say several months - and will more than likely be right!)

Re: Any interest in a diy esl project? [message #24715 is a reply to message #24685] Fri, 01 July 2005 14:33 Go to previous message
sam9 is currently offline  sam9
Esquire
There is a DIY ESL project under development at ESP (Elliot Sound Products) sound.au.com

Previous Topic: What are these called?
Next Topic: The BEAST is here????
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 22 21:38:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout