Home » Audio » Speaker » Carver planars
Carver planars [message #24665] Thu, 21 April 2005 15:19 Go to next message
Vandough is currently offline  Vandough
Esquire
I was interested in buying some previously owned Carver planars.

I was wondering, I found some for reasonable price. These ribbons and cones have not been used for 11 years... stored in the house.

Is there any reason to believe that these ribbons are not good ? Do the ribbons go bad with no use ? Or will they go bad with just the passing of time ?

Thanks

Re: Carver planars [message #24681 is a reply to message #24665] Sun, 15 May 2005 00:12 Go to previous message
thourn is currently offline  thourn
Esquire
I believe humidity is the biggest enemy of these speakers. They do not have a "true" ribbon. They possess what is called a quasi-ribbon. It is an aluminum strip adhered to either Mylar or Kapton film. I forget which exactly. Moisture works its way between the film and the aluminum. It may even change the tension of the film. The tweeter will began to make some very odd noises. Mine started out making a high "screeching" sound with piano music in the upper registars. They progressed into a loud buzz at all times. Mine were stored in a non-climate controlled storage facility for about 5 years. Basically, they were out of the rain, but not the heat, cold, and damp. I really enjoyed their sound. I'm now hooked on planar speakers. Just got back from Dallas, Tx where I auditioned some Maggie 3.6's. I think I will buy them. They have similar, but slightly superior sound to the Carvers IMO. Oh, btw, the surrounds on the woofers may rot also like any other piston speaker but are fairly easy to repair.

Previous Topic: Do active crossovers......?
Next Topic: Horn tweeter choice question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 05:38:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout