Home » Audio » Speaker » Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!!
Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24605] Tue, 29 June 2004 21:39 Go to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Well guys, just for starters. Check out the Sonic Impact "Sound Pads". To give you a head start......it is possible to liberate the "exciter" from the cardboard. A piece of "foam core" or stiff cardboard (!) will get you started. A sealed cardboard box is pretty good too. Check out the "Sound Pax" cardboard speakers for "inspiration". One last hint.....my M*M*G killers cost 60 bucks.........planar sound for peanuts. And if you spend enough time and money.........GOOD planar sound! Used properly the "exciters" are capable of very good sound. You'll need at least 10 watts. Have fun.
Ed

Re: Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24606 is a reply to message #24605] Wed, 30 June 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Do you know the internet URL address for the Sonic Impact "Sound Pads?"

Re: Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24607 is a reply to message #24606] Wed, 30 June 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Schilling is currently offline  Ed Schilling
Baron
Wayne,
I googled SI and came up with this........
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6bd8/?cpg=wnrdf

I am sure there are others. Keep in mind fellas.....you CAN liberate the exciter from the cardboard circle. And the description on this site seems fair.......quality can be from OK to spectacular depending on what material and how much you use. I have gotten results equal to the best ribbons I have heard......But I have no idea of the lifespan of the exciter......However they do have a polyswitch built in and will shut off if driven too hard.....easy to do with the Pass X 150! They come right back on after cooling off. Fun stuff.
Ed

Re: Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24608 is a reply to message #24607] Wed, 30 June 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Ed,

Wow, better than the best ribbons! What sort of membrane did you use to get the best performance? What did you stick these on?

Wayne

Re: Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24609 is a reply to message #24606] Thu, 01 July 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think Target has them online.

At Target for less money [message #24610 is a reply to message #24609] Thu, 01 July 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wunhuanglo is currently offline  wunhuanglo
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9099527-7827867?_encoding=UTF8&alt_view=images&asin=B0001HKVKQ

ntx ? [message #24611 is a reply to message #24606] Mon, 02 August 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
http://www.vxm.com/NXT.html#Heading3

It looks like a manger type of configuration.

------

Linc

NXT, breakup modes, diaphragm flex and "distributed mode radiation" [message #24612 is a reply to message #24611] Mon, 02 August 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Good article, thanks. It describes a process of using controlled breakup modes to good effect. It's an interesting idea, and I like how they've described the cone flex as "distibuted mode radiation."

Re: At Target for less money [message #24613 is a reply to message #24610] Mon, 02 August 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lon is currently offline  lon
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

So are these Target stick-ups toys or what? How does
Target sell them... I mean to whom for what purpose?
Seat shakers?

Fun stuff.

There was a Decware design floating around which I tried
to track down. The membrane was small and desktop size
but, you know, look like they come from the future.

So who's going to post the first "This is a good place
for a stick-up" article?

If cardboard is good, is Masonite better?

As an aside, I have been wracking my brain for the issue
of audioXpress in which they show a Cornu-type spiral horn
construction project. I have the mags... but there's no
multiple year index. I started to look for it one day and got
distracted by all the other neat stuff in the old mags.

Teh Cornu spiral horn is another design to fit thin
and close to the wall.

Re: Are you ready to play? Planars for peanuts,NXT!!!!!!! [message #24643 is a reply to message #24605] Sun, 26 December 2004 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mor2bz is currently offline  mor2bz
Esquire
you win! how do you do it ? how is the cardboard or panel held or suspended?what is the efficiency? thanks

Previous Topic: has any tried tangband F SERIES W4-1337S for line array?
Next Topic: ESS HD 1200
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 12:47:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout