Home » Audio » General » Hat's off to Steve Brown for a great day!
Hat's off to Steve Brown for a great day! [message #2455] Sat, 19 November 2005 17:52 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Ron and I spent the day visiting with Steve in his basement lair. He's newly arrived in mid-Ohio from the Pacific NW but certainly not new to DIY audio. We listened to his own-built 300B mono-blocks fed by both a Thorens 125 and a Rek-O-Kut with SME/Shure arm and Grado Woody Cart in his own design plinth. They drove a Hagerman Cornet with a switch so that either table could be heard in an instant! The Rek-O-Kut made a big impression on me. Idler wheel low-end weight!

Steve had picked up some Pi-like drivers: 2226 and 2426 and enclosure ideas which he executed in about a day for his first high efficiency speakers. Ron helped him dial things in and I watched.

The Theatre 4 Pro design is always a winner and oh-so-flexible. But the best part was adding Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeters in series that lit-up the top end of the horns. It's something I've always wanted to try and now will be high on my list of half-completed projects:)

Colin and Tim, you missed some great sounds, beer and Steve's justly famous BBQ brisket.

Re: Hat's off to Steve Brown for a great day! [message #2456 is a reply to message #2455] Sun, 20 November 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That sounds like a great time. The Tulsa bunch had a get-together yesterday too. I'll be putting up some photos and a write up soon, but I have to make it brief 'cause I have a tube radio to fix.

Thanks Steve! [message #2457 is a reply to message #2455] Mon, 21 November 2005 04:58 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve and his family are quite the host. We ate and drank and had the opportunity to hear different vinyl setups as Bill alluded to and also Steve has quite a bit of tubed gear which sounded great.

We spent the afternoon chatting and comparing notes on speakers and tube gear. Steve mentioned how the west coast seems to have more
tube heads while the midwest here we are more speaker orientated.

We had a chance to check out some Raven ribbon tweeters to take over where the 2370A/2426 horn/driver starts falling off!

A very enjoyable day, Thanks again to Steve and his family!

Ron

Previous Topic: How would consumers re-difine audio re-production?
Next Topic: audio roundup time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 19:00:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout