Home » Audio » Speaker » Affect of speaker in front of speaker
Affect of speaker in front of speaker [message #24213] Thu, 13 March 2008 14:20 Go to next message
Brad is currently offline  Brad
Esquire
I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are about the affect of having a long ribbon, planer (newform, BG) in front of mid/bass speakers. I was thinking of trying an array of RS150s with a long ribbon or multiple small ribbons directly in front of the mid/bass. Picture an array of BG PD-6CSIs. What affect on the mid/bass will the ribbons being in front of them. Is there a frequency where the affect would no longer be unnoticeable? Say if the width were less then the wavelength would this be OK. The BG planers are 1.5” wide, this is a frequency of well above 8k. The Neo 3s are a little over 2.5” wide, a feequency of 5khz is 2.7” long.

Re: Affect of speaker in front of speaker [message #24214 is a reply to message #24213] Fri, 14 March 2008 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The fact that the tweeters will be so far apart is going to give you comb filter distortion problems of a serious nature.

Have you read Dr. Griffins white paper on the design of line arrays?

Re: Affect of speaker in front of speaker [message #24215 is a reply to message #24214] Fri, 14 March 2008 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Broncosaurs is currently offline  Broncosaurs
Esquire
Marlboro, yes I have read Dr. Griffins paper. I think sometimes I have read it a few to many times. I might not have made it clear of what I was thinking. I don't want to do an array of the BG 6es I was trying to describe the idea of the tweeter in front of the mid/bass. I did some more looking around the web and found this:

http://www.bgcorp.com/radia.php

This idea but using a Newform or BG Planer or an array of bg neo 3 but way closer together then the link above. I was looking for information on the affect of the tweeter in front of the mid/bass. I would guess there is going to be a frequency output of the mid/bass to width of tweeter that should not be exceeded.

Re: Affect of speaker in front of speaker [message #24216 is a reply to message #24215] Fri, 14 March 2008 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
why would you want to to that?

Re: Affect of speaker in front of speaker [message #24242 is a reply to message #24213] Thu, 27 March 2008 17:07 Go to previous message
Rick Craig is currently offline  Rick Craig
Viscount
SLS has a commercial array design that has planar tweeters in front of the woofer. I would be inclined to say it's not the best approach but I've never tried doing that. You might try measuring the effects with a few drivers and see if it works for you. If not, at least you won't be out of a large sum of money.

Previous Topic: Webster's equation verses FEA / BEM
Next Topic: C-T-C spacing ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 04 08:20:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout