Home » Audio » Speaker » Jim Griffin CSS Betals
Jim Griffin CSS Betals [message #24208] Wed, 12 March 2008 08:11 Go to next message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
CSS BETALS
Line source tower speaker kit Originally designed by Dr Jim Griffin with the DEQX DSP based crossover, EQ and multiple amplifiers, Dr Griffin has just completed the passive crossover version. Each cabinet will house 12 WR125ST woofers and 9 Aurum Cantus G3i-130 ribbons.
Where can one have more details on those kits specs and description ?
Anyone heard them or built them yet ?
Thanks

Re: Jim Griffin CSS Betals [message #24209 is a reply to message #24208] Wed, 12 March 2008 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I heard the active DEQX versions at last year's Lone Star Audio Fest, and they were very impressive. I have no idea how the passive version will sound, but I am familiar with the CSS drivers used in this design and they are among the "best behaved" extended range drivers I have heard. Their response is flat across the spectrum up to about 10khz, and their Xmax is about 6mm, giving them exceptional bass capability for a small driver. There's almost none of the 5khz to 7khz breakup that's characteristic of many other high quality midbass drivers, so I would imagine the passive version can be implemented with a fairly simple crossover that doesn't compromise the sound.

I'm hoping Jim will read this and respond, but if he doesn't you could contact him at jrgriffin@cookeville.com

Re: Jim Griffin CSS Betals [message #24210 is a reply to message #24208] Wed, 12 March 2008 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPH is currently offline  JPH
Chancellor
How about the Aurum Cantus G3i-130 ribbons. versus the Fountek Neo 2 ?

Re: Jim Griffin CSS Betals [message #24211 is a reply to message #24209] Wed, 12 March 2008 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Reimer is currently offline  Bob Reimer
Esquire
Hi,

Please note that there is an error in the description of the drivers. Jim did the design with 12 WR125S per side and not WR125STs. Since the WR125S has been discontinued the kit would now ship with FR125S and I will update the website.

Detailed drawings, etc are available if you send me an email through the website.

Bob

Re: Jim Griffin CSS Betals [message #24212 is a reply to message #24209] Wed, 12 March 2008 21:31 Go to previous message
Jim Griffin is currently offline  Jim Griffin
Master

Fred,

Thanks for the report and the favorable comments.

While I use my active bi-amp'ed DEQX version at home, the passive crossover version is more than acceptable to those who don't wish to have an active crossover. The crossover (1750 Hz) for both the passive version (4th order) and active version (8th order) is steep enough so you would not hear any out of band 'funnies' from either implementation.

Bob Reimer can supply more details on the box drawings and a write-up on the line array implementation.

This design is intended to be used with one or more subwoofers to augment the bass below 60 Hz or so on the low end. The towers are relatively petite (12"W by 9.5"D x 6'H) versus other line array enclosures. The FR125S woofers are in a closed box alignment so their bass response rolls off in a well controlled and true 12 dB/octave (2nd order) slope. The impdedance for both lines are 6 ohms. The result with the clarity of the ribbons and the tightness of the bass is stunning.

For what it is worth, Fred heard the arrays without subwoofers at the Great Plains Audiofest. I did equalize the bass a bit within the small hotel room so that the bass was adequate for this configuration.

For what Bob is asking for the kit, it is a great deal for the money.

Let me hear if you need more info.

Jim

Previous Topic: What music do you listen to NOW.....?
Next Topic: Re: smoothing Zobel? tick but not if result is less than 91db/w!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 00:05:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio