Home » Audio » General » New Geddes book on "Audio, Acoustics and Perception" - first chapter online
You may be right, but [message #2414 is a reply to message #2409] Fri, 11 November 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
If there is no source of truth then how can we expect anything but ignorance.

We used to think the world was flat and that the Earth was the center of the universe - the church said so - but science eventually prevailed. I think that your point is that it did not prevail without a fight and there were some serious cosequences to the "radicals", to wit Gallileo.

I can wither the onslaughts, I have all along, and I just can't stand arround and let the charlitans win.

Thanks for reading the chapter.

Suggestion [message #2415 is a reply to message #2406] Fri, 11 November 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Earl,
I agree with what you are saying, of course.
Couple of suggestions:
1. THe material in the first chapter seems too wordy. YOu may want to write more concisely, and make the same points. There seems to be some repetition.
2. Diagrams would help a lot. FOr example, waveforms showing cannons, orchestra, etc would be very helpful, and perhaps break the tedium of reading non-stop text.

OVerall, a worthy effort so far!
Stop me if you don;t like this kind of feedback, though I mean it constructively.
-akhilesh

Re: Suggestion [message #2416 is a reply to message #2415] Fri, 11 November 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"Wordy", I have found, is a personal point of view situation. If you know the material, and/or agree with it, then its wordy. If you don't know the concepts then repetition makes the points more clearly. It depends on where your coming from.

If you want concise take a look at my first book!

I don't think that pictures would be appropriate in the first chapter and I'm not suer where I would get those signals. I'm right out of cannons and kettle drums at the moment.

Re: Suggestion [message #2417 is a reply to message #2416] Fri, 11 November 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Earl, just a quick interjection to help refresh your memory. You may recall this already, but maybe not. Akhilesh was at the GPAF, and has his PhD in computer sciences. He is a professor at TU and is a researcher and writer. Several of those you met at GPAF have advanced degrees, and you may not have realized that because of the laid back nature of the event.

Re: Suggestion [message #2418 is a reply to message #2416] Fri, 11 November 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds good, Earl. Thanks, Wayne, for your kind words.
Very worthy effort on the book so far, would love to see how it unfolds.
-akhilesh

Re: Apples and oranges [message #2419 is a reply to message #2413] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Fair enough. Thank you.
And thanks for a thought provoking piece.

Re: You may be right, but [message #2420 is a reply to message #2414] Fri, 11 November 2005 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
At least they can't put you in jail anymore for challenging the approved dogma (or can they?). Let's find out whether I'm correct about this book being ignored. I posted a link on the Stereophile Forum, Rants and Raves Section, at

http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&C=1

Re: You may be right, but [message #2421 is a reply to message #2420] Fri, 11 November 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
There are actually two issues. The first is "do people want to know the truth" about sound quality and what it is, and the second is "if they are taught do they care?"

I have pretty much found that the answer to the first is "not really" the mythology is more fun. And the answer to the second is, "well yes your right, but what I have is just fine". Sound qulaity, per se, is not a competitive advantage. It hardly even rates. Looks, size, prestige all seem to be more important.

Just my experience.

Re: You may be right, but [message #2422 is a reply to message #2421] Sat, 12 November 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pure subjective research should be it's own reward. I think that if your points are carefully crafted and well thought out they will resonate with individuals and eventually impact the audio landscape. Especially if they provide a description of easily comprehended and recognised phenomena.
Lord knows we need some sort of roadmap if only to allow for accurate means to define a commonality of quality and to direct the dialogue.

Re: You may be right, but [message #2424 is a reply to message #2422] Sat, 12 November 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
I whole heartedly agree with all but your first point - "Pure subjective research should be it's own reward." I'm not sure sure what you mean, but I think that I do. Unfortunately that's the altrueistic philosophy which has keep any of this work from being done. As long as consumers continue to support the status quo with their purchasing dollars there will never be much work on "truth" as it can only hurt the industry financially.

We do what we can, but alas what we do alone is only a drop in the bucket for what needs to be done. And, along the way Lidia and I have found absolutely no support for our work, either from consumers or industry. It's really like no one cares. Read the posts on my site about our distortion metric to get a flavor for this reality.

Previous Topic: Articles on DRM
Next Topic: computer confusion
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 13:11:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout