Home » Audio » Speaker » Can car coaxs be used in line arrays?
Can car coaxs be used in line arrays? [message #24064] Wed, 19 December 2007 07:58 Go to next message
Goldy is currently offline  Goldy
Esquire
Can car speakers be used in line arrays?

I have 2 way 4" coaxs in mind for a line array project. They have an fs of 130 Hz, Qts of 1.1, Vas of 1.0 lts and power capacity of 30 Watts RMS each.

The drivers alone are known to sound quite good in car.

The below is what I intend to do :-

1) Take 15 pairs of the coaxs for the line array project
2) Take apart tweeters and come up with separate woofer line and tweeter line. The tweeters allow a placement of about 1" side by side. Woofer line would be 60" and tweeter line would be 15" height.
3) Since Qts is too high, equlise with a linkwitz transform to have a Q of about 0.5-0.6.
4) Replace the stock crossover in each co-ax with active crossover setup crossed at 3200 Hz.
5) Have a sealed tower such that each woofers gets about 1.5-2.0 lts of volume each.
6) Place the towers in a room (about 220 sq feet) which has bad acoustics due to floor/ceiling reflections

The below are my expectations from the setup :-

1) A good bass (high quality, decent spl) so that I can avoid a sub.
2) Less interaction with the rom. The room has pretty bad acoustics as of now.

What are the chances of success with the above setup?

Thanks,
Goldy

Re: Can car coaxs be used in line arrays? [message #24065 is a reply to message #24064] Wed, 19 December 2007 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you already own these speakers? That's the only reason why I would think anyone would do this.

Marlboro

Re: Can car coaxs be used in line arrays? [message #24066 is a reply to message #24065] Thu, 20 December 2007 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goldy is currently offline  Goldy
Esquire
Hi Marlboro,

No, I have not purchased those coaxs yet.

There is dearth of drivers here in India. Importing them is not viable for a DIYer.
So I had to choose the drivers first and check out whether they were usable in a line array.
I knew the Qts was too high for a sealed enclosure use.
Of late I have seen good quality 4" drivers (dashboard use) and came up with this idea of LT eq.
When I read that ids25 are equalised too, I thought it was possible too use car coaxs in a line array by LT.

Re: Can car coaxs be used in line arrays? [message #24067 is a reply to message #24066] Thu, 20 December 2007 16:56 Go to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
OH........ You're in India. OH Gee sorry. Well, it might work. Try to stay within the guidelines of Dr. Griffin, especially the center to center distances.

Marlboro

Previous Topic: Assistance Audio Coaxial
Next Topic: Determining Low Freq Cut Off Of Folded Horn Box
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 08:06:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers