Home » Audio » Speaker » Open back array
Open back array [message #24006] Sun, 04 November 2007 13:36 Go to next message
tolits is currently offline  tolits
Chancellor

http://picasaweb.google.com/bernardo.lito/Array

Re: Open back array [message #24007 is a reply to message #24006] Mon, 05 November 2007 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nice looking. Are those Neo 8's, and are they open back too? What are the midwoofers?

Re: Open back array [message #24008 is a reply to message #24007] Mon, 05 November 2007 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Yes , those are 8 pcs. Neo8 and 18 pcs 6.5 midbass per speaker..These are cheap midbass made here in the Philiipines at $5 each.It was supposed to be an upgrade to my previous array using 9 pcs of Focal 5K013l 5inch bassmid in a close back array. The closed back sounded better. I could not make it sound right even with a DCX x’over until I reduced the negative going signal to the midbass. The difference is night & day. The sound became natural ,coherent and,life like and very detailed and effortless. I suspected that the asymmetrical shape of the cone causes some distortion. I tried applying this sound processing which limits the negative going signal. I tried this before with the focals before but the effect is good but not that big. Maybe with the no. of the bassmid in an open back configuration made the effect even more pronounced. The difference now is so big that would make keep this speakers. I am also thinking of making an open back array using 8 pcs of 12 in woofers and apply the same sound processing.Thanks

Re: Open back array [message #24009 is a reply to message #24008] Mon, 05 November 2007 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
Please elaborate on your explanation of reducing the “Negative going signal”.
I am not trying to be critical, I just don’t understand.

I have a line array using 8 of the same focal drivers per side and am interested in what you are doing.

I clicked on your link: What was your impression of the two vertical 6.5 driver array
with the Neo 8 in the middle? Did it reduce early wall reflections? Did it focus more
Sound at the listing position?

Tom

Re: Open back array [message #24010 is a reply to message #24009] Mon, 05 November 2007 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
If you look at the shape of the side view of the cone, it looks like at triangle. On the negative going signal, it moves like a spear. On the other hand on the positive going signal, it has a higher drag because of the parachute effect of the cone. What I do is use a tube configured in such a way I can variably decrease the negative going signal .

Regarding my impression with the two 6.5 driver with Neo8 at middle It takes the performance to a higher level than the focals but with the negative limiting signal in place.Distortion became lower,imaging became better, Naturalness also has been enhanced. I would not go back to the Focal arrays in a close back and the 8 Neo.To me,It is simply a different level considering the bassmid are very cheap.

Re: Open back array [message #24011 is a reply to message #24010] Tue, 06 November 2007 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom R. is currently offline  Tom R.
Baron
What exactly did you do to the negitive portion of the signal / back wave to make the sound better? This was on a sealed enclosure or open baffle, just to clarify?

Tom R

Re: Open back array [message #24012 is a reply to message #24011] Tue, 06 November 2007 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I cut the negative going signal or I cut signal when the cones are moving in. I apply this on the open baffle set up.

Re: Open back array [message #24013 is a reply to message #24012] Wed, 07 November 2007 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't understand. Are you using some kind of tuning device to reduce the signal when the cones are moving inward but not when they are moving outward. Does this reduce the electrical signal to the drivers or is it a mechanical device that physically reduces the cone's movement in one direction?

negative going signal [message #24014 is a reply to message #24010] Wed, 07 November 2007 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lcholke is currently offline  lcholke
Viscount
Hi Lito,

Is the tube mounted behind the driver and stuffed with dampening material? Is the tube partly closed on the back end? If the tube that reduces the negative signal is acting as a rear enclosure, then the cone travel may be being limited, reducing the Doppler distortion. Is the bass reduced also.

Thanks
-Linc

Re: negative going signal [message #24015 is a reply to message #24014] Wed, 07 November 2007 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chancellor
Hi Linc,

I am using a tube(12AX7) limiter before the power amp that drives the midbass.

Lito

Previous Topic: Vintage 15" woofer recommendation for OB midbass array?
Next Topic: The Zigmahornets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 30 02:13:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout