Home » Audio » Speaker » ART Array DIY ?'s
ART Array DIY ?'s [message #23899] Tue, 24 July 2007 23:56 Go to next message
ChrisCA is currently offline  ChrisCA
Esquire
Hello, I've looked over the plans & am wondering:
-to save some $ can the Hi-Vi K1 tweeter be used?
-are the drivers countersunk?
- what amplification sounds best with this speaker? (I've got EL34 pp, 6aq5 SE, Trends TA-10.1, Sonic Impact (not modified-yet)

TIA

Re: ART Array DIY ?'s [message #23902 is a reply to message #23899] Thu, 26 July 2007 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Hi-Vi K1 might work, but its sensitivity is about 1.5dB lower than the Vifa, which would be marginal for use with the woofer array. Also, to qualify for the PE discount the Art Array is offered only as a complete package, so you would have to buy the Vifa tweeters anyway. I suggest you spend $275 for the full meal deal. If you have a plunge router and a circle jig it's better to countersink the drivers, especially the tweeter, but if you don't the speakers will not sound bad. I've used the Art Arrays with several amps including 3 watt 2A3 SET, 8 watt 300B, Trends TA-10.1, EL34, KT88, 50 watt NAD 320BEE, and 70 watt Monarchy class A solid state monoblocks. They will play to room filling volumes with the smaller amps, but for dynamic music played really loud they need about 25 to 50 watts.

Multi amp and electronic crossovers: Just my opinion [message #23903 is a reply to message #23902] Fri, 27 July 2007 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
While you may not b e able to afford it initially, its my strong opinion than everyone who is building a line array plan on putting in multiple power amps with electronic crossovers. You can do this this way via ebay: a Rane or DOD 2 way analog cross for about $75, a small 40-60 w/ch amp for about $60, a medium 150 w/ch amp for about $100, and a preamp for about $100. Total cost: $335 + shipping.

As an example, I had some people over two nights ago to listen to music. They brought their own CD's. One brought a CD of the Paul Winters Group which was one of his American Indian theme type albums. It has a pretty heavy bass drumming to it. She has a decent speaker system at home. But she commented that she'd never heard the vocals before except as something distant and far away. That's how she thought the album was.

In her system, the intensity of the bass took all the power away from the mid range and tweeters on this album. In my system the woofers, tweeters, mid ranges are completely separate.

Just my opinion.

Re: Multi amp and electronic crossovers: Just my opinion [message #23905 is a reply to message #23903] Fri, 27 July 2007 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
there's also the option of putting old PCs to work as an active crossover module . Unbelievable bang for the buck considering many of us have PCs (old or otherwise) lying around. Delay, high order slopes, various crossover functions, ... all for free .

Zobsky, How do I do that? [message #23906 is a reply to message #23905] Sat, 28 July 2007 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jack is currently offline  jack
Esquire
I have an extra PC. How do I go about using it as an active crossover? Share pls?

Zobsky's answer doesn't work... [message #23907 is a reply to message #23906] Sun, 29 July 2007 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
it doesn't open.

Re: Zobsky's answer doesn't work... [message #23908 is a reply to message #23907] Sun, 29 July 2007 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zobsky is currently offline  zobsky
Baron
Not sure what went wrong with my previous post: basically, I suggested using foobar 2000 with a multi-channel sound card and this plugin ( http://xover.sourceforge.net/ ).

If this software ( http://www.juicehifi.com/ ) makes it to production, I might be interested, considering that the PC is my source for one of my setups at home .

Re: ART Array DIY ?'s [message #23910 is a reply to message #23902] Wed, 08 August 2007 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny Richie is currently offline  Danny Richie
Baron
Hey Fred,

All the guys I talked to that went to the Lone Star Audio Fest favored your inexpensive arrays as the best sound at the get together. I favored them as well.

When I think of the price of everything else that was there I can't help but laugh a little. Good job!

Danny

Re: ART Array DIY ?'s [message #23912 is a reply to message #23910] Wed, 08 August 2007 15:45 Go to previous message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks Danny. I especially appreciate this response coming from you. Most of the people who have heard them liked them, especially considering their cost to build. They satisfy the need for a silly-cheap speaker that's efficient enough to be driven by a low power SET tube amp, which was the primary design objective. As far as I know Parts Express is still selling the "kit" for $275/pr. It includes the drivers, crossover parts (air core inductors, Solen caps, Dayton audio grade resistors) wire, ports, speaker terminals, feet, quick disconnects, all the things needed to build a pair other than the enclosures. But I have a sneaking suspicion the LS-9's will sound just a bit better:)

Previous Topic: Frequeccy response?
Next Topic: User Feedback DCA 5.5 and 4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 09:21:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout